Hand splitting different species of wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookies

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have noticed some species of wood is easier to split when fresh cut vs when it is dried/seasoned and some is easier to split when dried!
I find live oak very difficult to get to split when green, the grain is all over the place but once dry will peel apart nicely with a good hit of a maul. Red oak will split green with effort working outside in but is much easier dry. Pecan will split easily green but hardens when dry same with paulownia. Anyone else have this experience with this or covering more species?

Some responds better to an axe and some a maul too. It’s all different. Even different types of the same stuff like oak or pecan split drastically different. Even method of death makes a difference. Mesquite that dies from old age will practically shatter when you split it. Chemical death and it’s hard to split after a year dead and then gets easy. Bulldozer death and it will be rock hard for maybe 4 years. I don’t understand how or why.

I forgot to mention the hickory was dry! Also I assume it to be common knowledge the closer to the roots you get the harder the wood is to split? SamT1 very interesting observations, thats crazy different times of drying and speed of death vs method used. Any input on the effects noticed using copper nails? I have seen that mentioned as a method used to kill trees.

Yep, it depends on species.

Aspen splits fairly easy unless it’s knotty. It’s a joy in the winter, it basically shatters. Red maple and white birch are easy when green too.

You will also find some of it splits better around the perimeter than thru the center and also splitting from the bottom of the way it grew. Cherry can be terrible and I once bent a wedge in a pc of ash. Sycamore splits pretty good at -20, mankilller at room temp.

I forgot to mention the hickory was dry! Also I assume it to be common knowledge the closer to the roots you get the harder the wood is to split? SamT1 very interesting observations, thats crazy different times of drying and speed of death vs method used. Any input on the effects noticed using copper nails? I have seen that mentioned as a method used to kill trees.
I haven’t been around any copper nails. Most of ours die a slow death from repeated 24d type chemical apps. Controlling weeds and trees at the same time.

Back