Hardness testing of timber

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobL

No longer addicted to AS
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
About 5 weeks ago we moved the tree loppers yard and while packing up some of the lumber I sprained a two fingers on my right hand. I thought little of it at the time but in the last two weeks they have got worse, especially in the morning (can't put any pressure on or rotate my right hand or even open a water bottle) so I have had X-rays and have to go back the docs tomorrow.

In the meantime I have been messing about with a new materials testing unit at work.
With a simple mod I have been able to turning it into a timber hardness tester.
Sorry about the poor photos.

attachment.php

The tester is basically a computer driven press/stretcher that can pull or push on a material with the distance resolution of about a micron, while measuring the forces (up to 50 kN or 10,000 lbs) on the material.

It comes with a range of anvils and attachments - It's main use at the moment is to measure the compressive strength or new concrete geopolymers.

To perform a Janka Hardness test I needed a hemispherical dimple with a 0.444" in diameter dimple to compress the wood, and the other end had to mate to the tester's linkage system (a simple socket and steel pin arrangement). The dimpler (red arrow) I was able to machine up on my trusty Southbend in my home shop.
262322d1352987404-dimpler-jpg

Here you can see it in action including a couple of test dimples in a bit of Aussie Hardwood.
attachment.php

attachment.php

In the image above you can also see some of the problems - like that big split generated by dimple A. The resulting Janka hardness was 6200 N (dry Jarrah is supposed to be about 8500 N) Some of the discrepancy is due to the MC, teh 8500 figure is at 12% MC and that piece is about 15% MC.
Dimple B came out to be 5300 N (Graph shown below) - The crushed edges indicates there was some sort of void or crack under the dimple.
Dimple C gave 6800 N probably because the crack from dimple A extended under C while dimple C was being formed.

The computer puts out a graph like this one for Dimple B - the Janka hardness is simply the compressive load required to generate a penetration of half the 0.444" ball (ie 5.82 mm)
attachment.php

The graph should be a straight line - when the graph kicks over a like this did in the middle, this indicates a problematic result.
Anyway - I'm still getting my training wheels with this machine.

One of the reasons I'm doing this is because I like messing about with new gear but I do hope to obtain some hardness data for many of our local timbers for which there is currently no data.

Sorry to hear about your hand. Glad you can still type! How much variation in hardness within a species are you finding? Much difference between normal wood and reaction wood? Thanks for posting, and give that hand a rest.

Sorry to hear about your hand. Glad you can still type! How much variation in hardness within a species are you finding? Much difference between normal wood and reaction wood? Thanks for posting, and give that hand a rest.

Thanks Dave. I haven't done enough measurements to make any sort of conclusion. About the only thing I have worked out so far is that is is not that easy.
The sort of already known variation within the one tree depends on the species but a variation of 20% is pretty common.

yeah that's really neat bob. thanks for posting and please keep us informed on what you find. man you guys have some crazy tough timber down under! :bang:

looks interesting Bob, let me know if you want some east coast samples... what happened with your hand Mate??

looks interesting Bob, let me know if you want some east coast samples... what happened with your hand Mate??

Cheers WM I'll keep your offer in mind.

It's a long story, but the short version is I was re-arranging the stickers on a pile of slabs and stupidly stuck my hand in between and got my right hand caught underneath 3, 2" thick slabs.
It actually didn't hurt that much at the time (I even went milling the following weekend!) - but 6 weeks on and it is now very sore and I have very little strength in that hand. I now find it difficult to open a twist top beer with either hand (all the fingers in my left hand were injured in a goods elevator door in 2010).
I was supposed to go to the docs again last week but appointment has been postponed.

yeah the old slabs get heavy & difficult mate, gotta be careful for crushing the fingers between any sharp edges, I learn that once loading logs up onto the hilux, one went to slip back of the ute and i went to catch it by grabbing the end but the weight of it dragged me hand down smack into another end of the other logs ...nearly lost a finger, got 20 odd stitches to sew it back together, all the flesh was just dangling off the bone. lol it wasn't even a hard impact, just a slight crush between two sawn edges.

Back