have to give axe users credit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWCS

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
today i had a real interesting experiance. cutting some alder i had one of them lean back on my saw and would not let go.. it also figures that i only have 1 saw going right now! i had to bring out my old school double bit throwing axe to cut the tree off the saw. i have to give the guys credit that used to cut with an axe all day for a living! i was thinking of entering a few chopping competitions but this has me reconsidering that choice! sure taking me a while to recover after chopping that much...

eye opener

I have competed in two iron man triathlons (2.4 mile swim 112 mile bike 26.2 mile run)
that last one was a month ago-

I split 3 cords of wood with a maul this weekend and I feel like I got hit by a bus.

i have new found respect for the ol'timers I can't imagine dropping old growth with a dbl buck and limbing with an axe.

my grandfather was right we are soft.
K

Tally

jefeVTtreeman said:
I like the guys the split 20 or more cords with a maul, thats old school

The wifey and I cut/split/stacked 50 face cord with mauls so far this year. We're still workin on more also, lmao. I gotta buddy that keeps trying to get me to use his damn splitter, I keep telling him I have one, and I point to my wife with her maul, lmfao... :cheers:

here is the challenge

Take a pic of a hardwood standing-

measure the girth at the base-

estimate or actually measure the height

drop, buck and split it old school first one done gets a case of oil or beer of choice --I'll buy.

all must be submitted and photo doc with date stamp on camera

kevin

i process all my firewood for sale with a 8lb maul, (too poor for a motorsplitter). I'm in WICKED shape. :cheers:

I have a friend, who's wifes grandfather, Carl Hammond holds the record in McCloud, CA (used to be some of the biggest timber in the world) by bucking 112,000 board feet in one day with a misery whip in the early 1900s. At the time he was 17. They have it posted in the Museum in McCloud.

Hi,

a couple of years ago I cut down a slightly leaning (about 20°) Oak with an Ochsenkopf double bitted axe. Can't say that I would do that again in a hurry...

That was the most work I have ever put into dropping a single tree and it wasn't quite 50cm wide where I cut it! I took the branches off with a razor sharp Ochsenkopf Iltis Europa axe. If you have never tried it then give it a go, you'll appreciate your chainsaw much more afterwards.

Bye

Latest posts

Back