Heavy equipment operator?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oregon_Rob

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Heavy equipment operator?

I recently have been very board with my job and came across an opportunity to possible enter an apprentice as a heavy equipment operator through a union. Anyone done this and what are your thoughts as a career?

Well, if its union, you'll be well paid and 10 times as bored once the newness of the career change wears off. Or not. That probably wasn't helpful at all.;)

I have been a heavy equipment operator for almost 10 years. I am not union. I am part of a small family business. We started off owning a dozer and that got really boring. Moved to skid-steers, a little more fun but still boring moving dirt. Grading and roads are really boring, hot, dusty work. I prefer working around trees and the woods versus grading an inch off a slope all at every pass. That's just me but you may find that it isn't very exciting and you will have a lot of down time sitting and waiting for others to get out of your way! :)

Thanks for the replys.
I really like being outside, heavy equipment and the like. Now I just have to qualify and be selected.
Any advice on getting started or things to keep in mind would be appricated.

Regards,
Rob
:blob2:

If you know what type of equipment you are going to/want to operate, pick up a training video or manual. Most heavy equipment manuacturers put these videos out. There are aftermarket videos available too. Also, if you have the money, rent a piece of equipment and try it out. The newer dozers are all finger/joystick controlled. I had to learn on steering sticks and clutches but the new ones are a piece of cake. I operated a D5m all day without breaking a sweat. They really are easy. Ditto on the newer backhoes. Haven't operated a large excavator but used Bobcat excavators. They are probably the most enjoyable to operate. Rollers are easy but very BORING. Large loaders take a lot of attention or you will run someone or something over and they are bouncy, bouncy, fun, fun, fun (oops got carried away) just kidding on the fun part. The bouncing in large loaders hurts you enough to take the fun out of it.

Yellowdog,
Thanks for the practical advice. Think I may go visit a dealer and see if I can get a training video or two. Who knows, maybe they will let me borrow them. I will take some time for the whole application and acceptance process to find out if I make it or not to the program, but looking at the criteria, I have a pretty good shot.

Rob

You want advice???? STAY AWAY FROM PAVING!!!!!!!! That can't be stressed enough!!!!! My uncle owns one of the largest paving business around and I used to work for him during the summers, talk about HOT and back breaking work (unless of corse you ran equipment like me but BORING and hot none the less!) Oh, and stay away from vibratory rollers they SUCK!! At the end of the day you feel as though you were on an earth quake all day:eek: :eek: Thats why I'm a logger and not in the paving business!!!

I don't mind the new vibratory rollers. They are actually comfortable and easy to maneuver. Sort of pleasing to see aggregate crushed and smacked together. I get bored grading. That's tedious, boring, hard work!

Avoiding the paving thing is definitely high on my list of “things to keep in mind”.
I have pretty much decided that I am going to apply for an apprentice position, but the selection doesn’t take place until around the end of October. Because of my back ground, I really think I have a good shot at it. In the mean time I am going to see what I can learn about basic surveying and other general things that could be helpful before the interview process starts. Thought I would go talk with some dealers and see if view some of the video’s that the manufactures put out.

Did any of you guys go through an apprentice program?

I just realized another possible bonus. As I like to mill my own lumber. Depending on the job, it may be possible to get a decent supply of logs to mill.:blob2:

One thing that will TICK the owner of any equipment off faster than you can blink is to be careless and tear it up!!! Tip, if you take VERY good care of the piece that you are "assigned" or any piece that you use, take VERY GOOD care of it and always check all fluid levels daily and if its a dozer or track loader then clean out you tracks at the end of EVERYDAY!!! Do that and you should see a raise!!!;)

AMEN!! Brother!

As an equipment owner, I don't even let family members use it without me watching! An employee using a valuable piece of machinery should take good care of the equipment. Believe me, when times are tough and it's raises vs. equipment repairs, which one do you think would win the day?

When I worked on the fire department, there were several guys who moonlighted driving trucks and working construction. The ones who seemed to do the best had a thorough knowledge of the equipment, such as powerplants, transmissions, hydraulics, etc. I can recall far too many discussions around the kitchen table about Thermodynes, Maxidynes, Allison HT740s, and Cummins.
When I was a deputy I required that all chauffers (drivers) completely check their rigs at the start of every shift, down to the light bulbs and tire pressure. There was some initial griping, but they came to take great pride in the roll, and they attained higher status among the men because the drivers were critical in making sure that the equipment was ready and would get the job done.
Regardless of your work, if you take pride in it and strive to improve, you will succeed.

And above all else be HONEST with your boss!!! If you see something wrong with a piece of equipment TELL HIM BEFORE it breaks!!!

Have you seen the new bobcat excavator? Almost 16k lbs and 74 horse. I rented a Bobcat 40 h.p. and it was great digging and sooo comfortable to use. I imagine the 74 horse excavator costs about the same as a backhoe but for pure digging, it looks very versatile and it takes attachments.

I like skidsteers but it would be nice to use something that isn't so rough on the body. Get good with a skid steer, though, and you can make a good living. There are a lot of guys that can operate anything but making a piece of machinery an extension of you, as the previous post pointed out, is the name of the game and that level of skill will a) reduce wear and tear on the machine because you aren't gritting your teeth and working it, b) make you look valuable at evaluation time, c) make you all the more efficient. As a side note, I watch a lot of fellas rent machines (mostly bobcat's and backhoes) and then I watch them ram trees, rocks, piles of brush or whatever. This mentality only leads to equipment repairs, sore kidneys, and doesn't get much accomplished. I think training is so very important. For example, any of us can drive a car, however, how many of can drive like a cop in a pursuit or a race car driver? It takes skills but it also takes knowledge. That's my $.02

I have ran a 325 mini its way too rolly on hills kinda scary it wouldn't crawl up the hill I was working on I had to push with the bucket and crawl which was hard todo as bobcat excavators don't have foot pedals for the tracks just 2 sticks.

If I was going to buy a mini it would be a 161 Kubota they are a nice machine I'am not totally sold on Bobcat excavators.

With the Bobcat machine I rented walking it down the hill sure made my butt cheeks squeeze tight I don't think you could fit a playing card between them :D

I got used to the tippyness but she didn't crawl backwards up the slope the tracks just spun like a tire I have a feeling it was those rotten rubber tracks. They are slippery too so its not a good feeling when you start sliding using the blade helps to slow you down.

When I first worked with the machine I couldn't run it because the controls where backwards for me I'am used to Cat controls and it was set up with Backhoe (Johndeere controls).

The rental shop finally put a pattern selector valve into it so it can be switched back and forth. The other guys running it got used to the Johndeere pattern and when I ran it I used Cat pattern and I would forget to flip the switch back. The other guys would get on it and grab the sticks and it would be swinging and hammering and cursing me :laugh:

I think its the law on rental machines or machines that have multiple operators that there is a pattern selector valve so it can be changed for operator preferences.

I think the bigger ones are becoming more of a piece of cake. While the machines won't give you knowledge, they make it easy to learn to use them with the joysticks, smooth hydraulics and electronic readouts.

Latest posts

Back