heavy sap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewguelzow

Reaction score
I was cutting on a ficus tree the other day and it has a serious sap that got over my block, tenex slings, and stable braid rope. It is similar, I assume, to pine tar. Is there anyway to clean my gear up safely.
drew

Wipe it down with Guaro. I'm not kidding. We were setting camp in the Nicoya Peninsula, cutting small limbs smaller than the wrist from a ficus tree. Next thing we knew we had sticky white goo all over everything. The only thing we had that resembled a solvent was kerosene and guaro, that is without siphoning fuel from the vehicle. Kerosene stinks and hangs around a long time. Although it was a hard sell, I convinced the others to crack open our sole bottle of guaro, promising to use it sparingly. It worked.

That's the only time I've needed to get ficus goo off my gear. Hope this helps. Pura vida.

For pine sap, the manufacturer-recommended solvent is acetone.
In the search function above, type in the key words acetone pitch flipline rope and see what comes up.

Latest posts

Back