Help Decide - Jonsered 2165 or 2171

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HickoryMania

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the site and was hoping for a little advice.

I presently own a Stihl 026 and am looking to supplement this with a larger saw since everything I cut is just about all Hickory. I have talked with a few local dealers and am leaning toward the Jonsered's since they have a trade in promotion (not gettting rid of the Stihl).

One of the dealers I talked with felt the Jonsered 2165 (65.1cc) was better for me since it runs at a lower RPM vs. 2171 (70.7cc). Since I am not a professional he said there would be less chance to burn out the engine if I happened to be running a dull chain!

FYI - I would run the new saw with a 20" bar.

Any input would be appreciated. I am deciding in the next day or two.

Thank you.

I'd go with whichever one you like better, but whatever you get, keep the chain sharp, and it'll do a great job for you. the only real difference between the two saws that I know if, is the cylinder, and piston, other than that, they're pretty much identical. me, I'd go for the 2171, since its the Jred version of the Husky 372XP, which is a proven model amongst many here. I havent heard anything negative about the 2165, but I'd rather have the more powerful engine in case I need to cut something bigger.

If you got the extra $100.00 for the 2171 get it. I got one about a year ago for cutting hemlock pole wood and it works great.

If the money isn't a problem, spend a little extra cash and get the 2171. Same saw with a different cylinder as the 2165. The weight savings of the 2165 is virtually nonexistant, but you get more power with the bigger engine. The point about cooking the engine by running dull chain is a pretty stupid reason to buy a smaller saw that has less torque. Running dull chain on any saw is a poor practice and should be avoided. You won't notice the very minimal weight savings, but you will notice the greater power. Unless money is an object, this is pretty much a decision that makes itself for you, that you should buy the bigger saw on the same chassis.

One difference that has not been mentioned yet is that the 2171 has the quick release air filter cover, and the 2165 not.
There is probably a bit greater weight difference than Jred states, and many people want to believe, but the power difference more than compensates for that.
The power of the 2165 can be had in smaller and lighter packages.

Even though I have never used any of those saws, in my mind there is no doubt
- take the 2171!

Thank you for all the feedback.

Wow the 2171 is the unanimous choice. Makes my decision a lot easier. For the extra $100 bucks I guess it's a lay up. More power is always a good thing!

That was my original choice but when the one dealer pushed me toward the 2165 I was questioning my decision and that's why I wanted to run it by this forum.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back