help for one-legged tree climber

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reban

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi there -- (I've posted this over in the professional tree climber forum, but thought I'd cross-post here too...)

My husband has a degree in forest management and was a tree climber at a landscape company until he lost his leg to the pelvis, in a motorcycle accident 2 years ago. He dreams about climbing again, whether or not he ever does it professionally.

I'd love to pay for an expert instructor to brainstorm with him, and help him figure out what rigging he could use, and how to modify techniques to make it possible for him to do again... His arms and right leg are very strong.

His birthday is in 10 days. Anybody have any ideas how I could set this up so I could surprise him with an afternoon with an expert? We live in the Boston area.
Thanks, Reban (cell) 617.759.2727

Check about www.treeclimbing.com. I know for recreation, the Jenkins have brought a wide array of people up into the trees, no mater age or disability. There are plenty of ways with MA just all depends on what equipment you have on hand.

Try to find an occupational therapist. I am one, but a little far away for an in person consult. The American Occupational Therapy Association may be able to hook you up with an OT in the area with climbing experience. I would recommend DdRT with mechanical rope gabs, big shot for rope placement using the quick release and a stool or box so he cah place the rope himself. Does your husband use a prosthesis? The amputation sounds high, so I assumed not, but you never know. Handled ascenders with a strap to bosun seat on amputation side might keep him in a better position. A saddle with a bosun seat and suspenders would probably complete the kit. I think the foot pantan is for the right side any way. A chest ascender on the suspenders would assist with weight distrubution. If there are other climbers in the area to try out equipment with your husband before you buy you will be able to peiece together a good system. Maybe contact the local dealer for a try before you buy exerience. And of course, the official disclaimer that none of the advice above can be followed as no representation of professional services is implied.

Todd J. Curtis, OTR/L
[email protected]

Back