Help! Landscaper planted a topped gingko.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The flare is right at gorund level. The mulch, at it's deepest point, is 6 inches. I have always been told that mulch should not touch the tree trunk at all. Can I have a 4 inch deep ring of mulch around the trunk?

If you decide to keep the tree I really think it will be all right. The tree "wants" a central leader and will turn a lateral into one. There will be a minor kink in the trunk that will dissipate over time.

kaylalala said:
Can I have a 4 inch deep ring of mulch around the trunk?
Yes if it does not touch the trunk; keep it a few inches away at least. Ground shour be broken up well beyond the root ball, mulch should be beyond the branch tips, so that the water that falls on the tree drips onto the mulch.

Like anything else, when in doubt, :Eye: read the directions.

Mike Maas said:
It looks to me like it's buried right up the the graft union (6 to 11" too deep). As we've found out though, pictures can be deceiving.

graft union? Is this a grafted tree? I think that most Ginkgoes sold and planted are not grafted but are simply seedlings. Someone may tell you that it's grafted or rooted but most that I see in various localities are not asexually produced.

Ekka said:
Good trees come from good form ... when they're planted.

Without a picture it's hard to tell, however from your comments it's clear that the main trunk at approx 1/2 way was cut and the tree grew another trunk from that point upwards ... so is there like a kink or something?

Nurserymen often think tall is best or bushiest is best, it sounds like the tree was growing tall and thin ... perhaps the wise ole nursery guy thought I'll just give it a cut here (now that it's tall enough) to bush it up a bit.

If this is the case I would get rid of it and start again.

Is it possible for you to select the tree you want?

Just like I said, start again.

It was represented as a grafted tree

I told the landscaper that I did not want a female, because of the malodorous fruit. I was assured that I would get a male. Right above gound level is something that looks like a graft.

Elmore said:
graft union? Is this a grafted tree? I think that most Ginkgoes sold and planted are not grafted but are simply seedlings. Someone may tell you that it's grafted or rooted but most that I see in various localities are not asexually produced.

That looks like a graft union to me, which is how I know it was planted too deep. The original root flare is down about 6" or more in the dirt. If you dig deep enough you will find it. So the poor structure is only academic, the tree would be dead in about 20 years anyway from girdling roots.

What if I can't get the landscaper to do the right thing?

Can I dig the tree up and plant it shallower at this point?

Are graft unions ALWAYS 6" above the original flare? Doesn't anyone ever graft right above root level?

I went to the place where the tree was purchased on Saturday and took a look at the only other ginkgo on the premesis. It looks like it is failing. If I had kept my wits about me I would have taken a good look at the base of the tree to confirm your suspicions that the tree has been planted too deep.

Mike Maas said:
That looks like a graft union to me, which is how I know it was planted too deep. The original root flare is down about 6" or more in the dirt. If you dig deep enough you will find it. So the poor structure is only academic, the tree would be dead in about 20 years anyway from girdling roots.

Latest posts

Back