Help Log Splitter Detent Valve Sticking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hydro2

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a Brave Log splitter and the last few weeks the detent/spoil valve has become sticky after the I split a couple of hours. On one side of the valve there is a inch long bolt (only way I know how to describe it) with a ball in the end. The ball (like a ball bearing) moves in and out if you push on it and the end that has the ball goes into the detent vavle. The ball is getting a worn place on it and if I remove the bolt the handle will move freely. Once the splitter cools down the handle will move freely even with the bolt screwed in. I change the hydaulic fluid last year. I am not sure whether to change the fluid again or replace the valve. If it were just the worn spot on the ball bearing part I would think the valve would stick all the time, not just when hot. Sorry for my poor terminogly. I have worked on many things, just not much hydraulic. Thanks for the input.

If it works alright after it cools down how hot is it getting. The o-rings in the detent section may be gummed up.
The valve you are describing sounds like a Prince LS 3000.

Here is some info.

Thanks for the answer. I looked at the valve and it is not the valve I have. I wish it was. The part that is worn on mine is like #9 on the diagram. The steel ball has some flat areas worn onto it and if I remove it the vavle no longer sticks. I called Brave and because the unit is so old, they not longer sell parts for the valve. Thanks again for the input.

hydro2,

I don't know if this will help but it won't hurt. Remove the handle and rotate the spool 180 degrees. Reattach the handle this should change the wear surface. In the Prince valve item #1 is the collar the ball rides in.

But I think if this only happens after it gets hot it may be lacking lube in the detent area. This area on most detent valves does not get hydraulic fuild.

What happens if I tear the detent valve down? Am I going to have springs and parts flying all over the place? How would/should I lube the detent valve? Thanks for all the input thus far.

Without seeing the particular valve it is hard to determine disassembly. The easiest way to add lube without taking it apart would be to pour a few drops of hydraulic fluid in the opening the ball and bolt came out of.

Offering repair suggestions for a unseen item is risky at best.

Here is pic of the valve. Hope this helps. The pencil is pointing to the part where the bolt where the ball is. Thanks for the help.

The valve looks like a old Prince valve just with some reconfiguring. The cap in back held in place with 2 cap screws should not have any pressure or a gasket. Some moisture could have gotten into this area.

Basic things to consider is that when things get worn they get loose. When things get warm or hot sometimes due to friction they expand and begin to stick.

I have had the two allen cap crews off on the back side of the valve, but did not pull it completely apart. I seperated it a few inches. I have also had the front off. Would I be able to order parts for this valve or should I just junk it and re-plumb a new one? Thanks

Any o-rings are likely industrial standard. If it is not leaking, they are not likely an issue.

If it isn't working well lnow, you don't have much to lose. Take digital pics as you take it apart. Mkaes it easier to reassemble.

May as well give it a try. Not much too lose.

Pull off the ends.
Leave the spool in place for now. Sometimes the seals are hard to get past lands. Sometimes there are no seals.

Disassembly, clean and lube and reassemble should be easier than you think and build some confidence in the process.

k

Latest posts

Back