Help me understand Stihl 441 model variations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericm979

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm considering getting a larger saw, used. Currently have Echo CS-352, Stihl 025 and MS362CM. Want to stay with Stihl and an MS660 is too big. Of the 440, 460 and 441 the 441 has the most appeal due to the A/V.

But I don't understand all the model variations. What's the difference between MS441, MS441 Magnum, and MS441C? I know what the MS441CM is. All the 441s have spring type A/V and are stratocharged, right?

I'm considering getting a larger saw, used. Currently have Echo CS-352, Stihl 025 and MS362CM. Want to stay with Stihl and an MS660 is too big. Of the 440, 460 and 441 the 441 has the most appeal due to the A/V.

But I don't understand all the model variations. What's the difference between MS441, MS441 Magnum, and MS441C? I know what the MS441CM is. All the 441s have spring type A/V and are stratocharged, right?
The 362cm is a very nice 60 cc saw. Do you think that a 70 cc is too close? I've run 046 a lot and many like the 461. If you're using the 362 for bulk of cutting, don't overlook the more powerful 77cc just because it doesn't have spring suspension.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

The 362cm is a very nice 60 cc saw. Do you think that a 70 cc is too close? I've run 046 a lot and many like the 461. If you're using the 362 for bulk of cutting, don't overlook the more powerful 77cc just because it doesn't have spring suspension.

I've been running the 362 a lot ripping large rounds of eucalyptus into manageable pieces. It's hard on the 362. I've had some 2'+ trees to cut and in the future I'll be cutting other 2' and larger trees. The 362 is fine but it's kind of slow on big material. I want the better A/V because I'm having problems with nerve pain in my hands and don't want it to get worse. I'd like 77cc but I figure if I really want it I can get a 52mm cylinder and piston.

You want the cm and "R" if possible.
Why?
I have a 362CM and to be honest I'm not totally thrilled by it. Sure it runs fine when it's running but all too often it mysteriously goes rich after running it and shutting it down and when I start it and won't start until I clear it out with 4-5 open throttle pulls. My regular carb saws don't do that. At least I know the trick now but it still takes time to do it.

Why?
I have a 362CM and to be honest I'm not totally thrilled by it. Sure it runs fine when it's running but all too often it mysteriously goes rich after running it and shutting it down and when I start it and won't start until I clear it out with 4-5 open throttle pulls. My regular carb saws don't do that. At least I know the trick now but it still takes time to do it.

I've never had any problems with my 441rcm. I wouldn't trade it for a 461. Have you tried the reset on your 362?

I just purchased a used older ms441 carb model. Better av over my ms440 I used for years. Buy some anti vibe gloves for those hands of yours.

But I don't understand all the model variations. What's the difference between MS441, MS441 Magnum, and MS441C

MS 441: This is the normal version of the MS 441
MS 441 Magnum: The Magnum description is a marketing thing for the US and Australia saws. Normally in the past the Magnum models had a higher displacement (for example 038, 038M), but not on the MS 441. It is possible that other cylinder gaskets and mufflers are used due to the law there. (The BR 600 here in Germany is also called BR 600 Magnum in the US)
MS 441 C: The C means comfort feature. For example the M-Tronic 441 is marked MS 441 C on the starter sign, but it can also be a sign for a quick stop chain brake model.

MS 441: This is the normal version of the MS 441
MS 441 Magnum: The Magnum description is a marketing thing for the US and Australia saws. Normally in the past the Magnum models had a higher displacement (for example 038, 038M), but not on the MS 441. It is possible that other cylinder gaskets and mufflers are used due to the law there. (The BR 600 here in Germany is also called BR 600 Magnum in the US)
MS 441 C: The C means comfort feature. For example the M-Tronic 441 is marked MS 441 C on the starter sign, but it can also be a sign for a quick stop chain brake model.

Thanks that was really helpful

BR,

~TW

The only saw listed on stihl's website is ms 441c-m magnum. As previously mentioned, the magnum is pretty much marketing hype. The m designation means m-tronic. I don't know if a standard carb is even available anymore. They don't even list and r version which would designate a wrap handle but in the product description it says it's available in certain areas. My 661 is listed as ms661 c-m on the website but the saw has the magnum sticker.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

The only saw listed on stihl's website is ms 441c-m magnum.

I'm looking at used ones, probably older than the mtronic models. I think the R is a 3/4 wrap handle and a high capacity oil pump, for west coast use with long bars.

I'll try the reset on my 362.

Any recommendations for anti vibe gloves? I have been hesitant to buy expensive gloves because so much of my work involves altermating cutting and then moving wood and the latter tends to tear up gloves faster. I can switch gloves but that takes time.

I'm looking at used ones, probably older than the mtronic models. I think the R is a 3/4 wrap handle and a high capacity oil pump, for west coast use with long bars.

I'll try the reset on my 362.

Any recommendations for anti vibe gloves? I have been hesitant to buy expensive gloves because so much of my work involves altermating cutting and then moving wood and the latter tends to tear up gloves faster. I can switch gloves but that takes time.
These stihl gloves work well for me. They're pretty heavy in the palms and they really hold up well. Some newer motorcycle gloves have gel in the palms. I've been wondering how they would be.
c422894077ce6052c06fdcc051e13a60.jpg

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

I have a 441 with manual tune carb that I use for cutting big dead pa oaks, running a 24" bar with semi chesil chain, it has plenty of power and has been a good saw.

Back