help with 056 chain brake

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mimikamimi

Reaction score
I am brand new to site and really new to saws. Had a large spruce felled this year and am working on the rounds 48" around. I went and bought a state surplus Stihl 056. Runs great and has a new bar and plenty of chains which i bought for it. my question concerns the chain brake on the inside of the clutch cover. I allways remember it being tight to the inside of the cover with no movement at all. today i was cutting and had to remove cover to clear debris around sprocket. it seems that the metal liner (chain brake ) ??? on inside of cover is loose. i can move it and i got it back togethor and it ran but bogs down and started to smoke a little once it got warm. should it be tight abainst inside of cover??? do i need it??? a dremel could take care of it and my old logger buddy said that is the first thing they got rid of but i know no shop will take it out. is it broke??? i know i rambled here but just trying to give all info: HELP

Mike:)

I suspect the brake band is broken. Take it out and replace it... Don't run the saw as is or it will cost a lot more than a brake band.

Lakeside53 said:
I suspect the brake band is broken. Take it out and replace it... Don't run the saw as is or it will cost a lot more than a brake band.

And if you do remove the brake permanently, also remove the actuating lever so noone will ever think the saw has an operating chain break.

As a new user and new to chain saws, you should not even consider using that saw without an operating brake.

Harry K

i have heard of 56s geting throne out of the hand of the oper ater during kick back so i woud definetly leav the brake on the saw!

Durn if you didn't pick out a beast, that 056 is quite a saw for a new user. Had a feller give me one and like yours the brake wasn't acting right but the power that saw has its best to getter fixed fore it she kicks on ya its gonna be hard and without that brake it could be ugly. Get that brake taken care and be on the safe side.

Back