Help With Pine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaykelp

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just recently, in the last week, my pine tree has turned orange. The needles have at least. The other two are fine, I guess. Is there a fugacide I can buy to treat the tree? Is it dead? I would guess that it is still alive, but definately a sore thumb out of the three. Sap is coming out of the trunk. I suppose it is normal but it has white streaks. Do I need to call anyone? I did remove one last year my self that had a similar situation but I never consulted anyone. I thought since it was considerably smaller and it was the only one removing the tree would solve the situation. Are these beetles? Or a fugus?

Monkeywitha_saw said:
running into the same problem here but here its fire blight and desert blight
True, It's dead tree but a very different problem--Cronartium ribicola, white pine blister rust.
http://www.forestryimages.org/browse/detail.cfm?imgnum=1371057

The tree is a replacement opportunity. AL is pretty far south for white pine; they barely survive in this part of NC. Contact Elmore iin the nursery forum--he'll refer you to better-adapted plants for AL.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Is there any way to make sure or prevent this from happening to my remaining three pines or do I replace and go with something else. Besides that what does it cost to replace a tree these days and what factors are there to take into consideration?

"]Is there any way to make sure or prevent this from happening to my remaining three pines or do I replace and go with something else."
May prevent by ensuring good vigor and good drainage. May be wrong tree in right place.
"Besides that what does it cost to replace a tree these days and what factors are there to take into consideration?[/QUOTE]Totally depends on price of removal and price of new plant. Big factor is choice of new plant--pm elmore; he's a grower in your area.

"Is there any way to make sure or prevent this from happening to my remaining three pines..."

White pine blister rust requires two hosts to complete its life cycle. White pine being one and currant (Ribes genus) being the other. If you and/or your neighbors have currant bushes, your white pine will be predisposed to white pine blister rust. No currants in the area - no blister rust.

Tree Wizard said:
No currants in the area - no blister rust.
Before you go on a witch hunt for all plantsin the genus Ribes, consider that 'the area" is measured in square miles. Them little spores can travel a long ways.

The problem my friend, is blowin in the wind... :p

In VA it is forbidden to grow Juniperus within 5 miles of an apple orchard, for fear of infection from that alternate host.
Unfortunately, that includes native Junipers, including redcedar.

Based on my experience with the USFS a long time ago - trying to irradicate Ribes in the Lake States was an impossibility and they gave up on it. Point being - if you have WPBR on your white pine and there are Ribes in "X" radius (and X could be miles), you are going to have a tough time keeping it out of your other white pine. Good vigor and good drainage may decrease the severity of infection but it won't stop it.

Latest posts

Back