help with stihl weed wacker ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arborman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
i know its not a saw but i thought maybe i could get a little assitance with it here anyways since so many here are knowlageable about stihl products.. im working on a stihl fs 46 weed wacker that my neighbor had screwed wtih the carb settings on when really all it needed was a new fuel hose jobber from the tank to the carb. my problem now is i dont know how to get that carb back to factory settings.. it looks to only have one screw. and i dont know if thats the high ? low ? or idle , or even a mix of the tree for all i know. could anyone give me any tips on this please? Thanks

I believe its a low speed screw. screw it all the way in, to a LIGHTLY seated position, then one turn out from there. go from that point, and see what happens. that should work. thats how the Stihl FS85 I've worked on is.

The single screw is a on a "balanced idle carb". The screw is a combination of all 3 screws on a 'normal' carb. It is also left hand thread. backing the screw fairly far out will let you get the machine started then turn it in (clockwise) until the string head stops turning then find a happy medium for throttle response. These carbs either work well or they need to be replaced with a 4137 120 0606 or a 4137 120 0604 both of these have more convention metering systems. There is a low success rate in re-building the balance idle carb. Good luck.

Fish, The 46 is a Stihl design, you are thinking of the 36 and 44 that were Ryan's. The 46 is a 45 with a longer shaft for taller operators.

Latest posts

Back