Hey, first post. makita 6400 issues.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wortown Mick

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well I recently bought a makita 64cc ,- blue dolmar ps6400 in a box, unk. issue.

Well, clearly it needs a 79cc jug & piston, asides from that the rod bearings blown. So a crank assembly as well, the 3 saws in the series share the same crank, correct?

Main bearings, gaskets, whole 9 yards..

They share the same carb as well correct? Deff gonna richen that up.
Would a plug chop be an effective chainsaw tuning method?

I saved this saws soul.. lol HD rental.

Do oilers burn out from being run dry? Im thinking this saws seen hell in its 14 days of usage.

Thanks for the info obtained from lurking. & thanks again in advance.

-Pat

Last edited:
Wow that saw sounds a bit rough...and not much to start with. You may want to talk to computeruser. He has a famous 6400/6401 he may be selling that would probably be a lot better base for a 7900 project.

Wow that saw definetely sound like its been through hell and back. I picked up a 6401 from the Auburn, MA HD rental and its been a flawless performer for me, but I was the first one there and got to pick the best of the fleet. Wish I swapped out the bar one saw had new Bar/Chain but looked like it was worked more, and the one I got looked like it was worked less but only had a new chain and the bar was pretty worn.

Thinking of putting the 7900 P/C on it this winter but the saw is still strong so I might wait.

2 month of work and still no issues, fuel/oil/cut then sharpen the chain and repeat.

Wow that saw sounds a bit rough...and not much to start with. You may want to talk to computeruser. He has a famous 6400/6401 he may be selling that would probably be a lot better base for a 7900 project.

Maybe. It all depends on whether it ever shows up. Because it hasn't yet. You wouldn't think it would take 1.5 weeks to get from Ohio; it only took 2 days to get there originally. :confused:

I believe I would part that one out on Ebay.Then look for another one that's not tore up so bad.

If you are interested here are the part prices

wrist pin bearing $11.00
crank $159.00
c case gasket $3.00
mag bearing $12.80
clutch bearing $12.80
seal $5.30
seal $6.00
cyl base gasket $2.00
Piston and Cyl (6400) $149.00
Piston and Cyl (7300) $186.00
Piston and Cyl (7900) $191.00
Oil Pump $43.00
Carburator $80.00

Scott

wrist pin bearing $11.00
crank $159.00
c case gasket $3.00
mag bearing $12.80
clutch bearing $12.80
seal $5.30
seal $6.00
cyl base gasket $2.00
Piston and Cyl (6400) $149.00
Piston and Cyl (7300) $186.00
Piston and Cyl (7900) $191.00
Oil Pump $43.00
Carburator $80.00

Scott

=$526 + shipping to make a 7900 out of it. Ouch.

Yeah that is a bit pricey.

The prices look pretty reasonable for the individual the parts though. At least he has a resource and prices, if he plans to build a 7900 from a new donor.

Thanks for the price quote.

I need a jug & piston & some gaskets. Not as much as id have thought.
Theyre taking care of the crank, I think id like to assemble the saw myself though.. lol

I wanna try my local dealer out , but scotts already estabolished that his shipping & communication are on point. Basicly keeps his clientele well informed from what I can see. Should they come up short, ill end up ordering from him.

Im set on holding on to it, no need for ebay.
Bottom line, I'm getting a 7900 w/ brand new internals for ~300

Now I can buy a few bars & chains with the saved $$

Added kicker, its labeled as a 6401 & its makita blue. =]

Heh, cant wait to see the looks on a few peoples faces

Added kicker, its labeled as a 6401 & its makita blue. =]

Heh, cant wait to see the looks on a few peoples faces

Not a new idea. Here is a new 6401 with a 7900 woods ported topend that a couple of friends modded.
Now sporting the new updated black carb cover and cylinder covers, looks alot better IMO.
32bar20.jpg

Copyof375006-1.jpg

Last edited:
Couldnt imagine it was a new idea. lol

Nice saw, big makita bar.

How much gain can be found with a woods port & muffler mod?

Latest posts

Back