hollow trunk

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vince

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was aked last week if i could take down a big cottonwood for a friend. I said sure but when i looked at it i noticed the trunk was hollow. How do i cut this tree safely and how do i make it go where i want it to fall. How will the tree react to the cutting

thanks
vince

hollow tree

I mean no disrespect but the questions you're asking, while well intentioned,show a lack of experience with what you've been asked to do. In my part of the woods dead and/or hollow trees are called snags...and believe me thats the most printable thing they're called. A snag can sit down on your bar before you even get a wedge in,they can barber chair in a heartbeat,and even getting the face cut without a dutchman can be hard. Give this one to a professional tree service...they'll do it safely. By the way,I'm not a tree service guy with a vested interest in drumming up more work for me peers...just an old logger whos made enough and seen enough dumb moves and the resulting carnage that I,d rather piss you off than pack you out.

well i must say i would like the challenge of cutting it down but if it is too dangerous for a guy with my experience you are probably right as much as i don't like to say that i would rather no one get hurt

hollow tree

Thanks Vince. I'm not as tactful as I should be sometimes but at least I probably won't be reading about you in the fatalities section of this forum. Watch how the tree guys do it...ask lots of questions. Follow this forum. There seem to be some pretty well schooled people on here and theres a .wealth of good advice available. Bob

I climb ca tree 2/3 height and put the long-strong rope and prestretch it (winch), if I need to get something surely down to the one direction. The leaned trees and ones with the very long and big branches and canopy is another story.
Hollow tree needs additional care. So, if you are not sure what you do, dont do it ;)

pinus said:
I climb ca tree 2/3 height and put the long-strong rope and prestretch it (winch), if I need to get something surely down to the one direction. The leaned trees and ones with the very long and big branches and canopy is another story.
Hollow tree needs additional care. So, if you are not sure what you do, dont do it ;)

Why climb it just to put a rope in it? Don't you have/use throw balls?
Then, when dealing with a hollow tree near a potential target, you surely don't want to tension a line with a winch, you don't want to only use one line, and you sure as heck don't want to be cutting into it unless you know what you're doing.

Mike Maas said:
Why climb it just to put a rope in it? Don't you have/use throw balls?
Then, when dealing with a hollow tree near a potential target, you surely don't want to tension a line with a winch, you don't want to only use one line, and you sure as heck don't want to be cutting into it unless you know what you're doing.
Seem, that we are talking about different things :confused:
IMO
The climbing allows to put rope in the best way-point and fix it in the best way and in the case of any branching of the tree.
If to make proper felling cuts, the one rope is almost sufficent, if there is not something special case.
To winch is necessary not too much, not too less and correct the tension during cutting, if neccessary.
and of course, rope lenght should be proper.
I talking how I usually do this, this can be not the best way :)

Just climb it and cut it down dude. I watched in amazement as a C.A. stated to a small town gathering that hollow trees are just as strong as live ones. That as long as there was a ring of growth there was no problem climbing them. I agree with him.
1st. Throwball the target tree and try to pull it over. I have a pic of me laying down in a hollow tree, my whole body jamed inside the 15 feet log and crawled out the other side. Now thats a hollow tree friend.

Oh! I've never seen a hollow pine tree.

Dead laterals or hollow spots on limbs that go horizontal I dont go out on these limbs .Period. Unless there is a tie in above it and safetly secured to another part of the tree.
TreeCo, do you compete?

Not trying to hijack thread.....Computeruser, Im right here in Lansing...do you have a business here? I am trying to get a splitting business going and am trying to get ahold of tree companies to see if they will throw me some business.

Yeah Vince, hire a pro man. Its too easy for something to go wrong on a tree like that. Only takes a split second and things are changed forever.

If you have room to fell the tree, do it. I created a sweet illustration as to how I have fallen a large hollow Cottonwood. The illustration says is all.

don't use a winch. A truck is better, it takes up slack quickly to keep the pull continous. After notching, make sure the backcut hits both sides. Just a couple of things to consider among many.

Dan: You are right with worring about the tree collapsing. When I did this one the shell was only 4". So, I was "on edge" every second my saw was in the wood.

I don't think any human reaction would be fast enough to escape such an event, so I knew I was taking a calculated risk. :angel:

There was a guy out here that owned a successful injection molding company. One weekend he was pulling an old cottonwood over with a tractor and pulled it right over on top of himself and killed himself. You think a guy with the smarts to start and run a business would have known better.

Latest posts

Back