Homelite C52 Restoration

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamescmei

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I’m in the process of restoring my father’s Homelite C52.

I’m in the tear down stage and looking for some advice.

1. I need a clutch removal/holder tool for a the 3 pin Oregon clutch assy installed.

2. How is the oil pick up tube installed into the case? It seems to just be pressed in but I don’t want to damage anything trying to remove it until I’m sure.

3. I’ve combed the internet looking for an definitive Homelite Blue paint code. Seems the Dupicolor brand spray can is the most popular but I do not want to go the “aerosol overhaul” route. I saw another Honda color referenced as well. Does any one have an automotive paint code?

4. I see Sugar Creek has bar decals, the bar on the saw was a 112 Homelite GW 1820-50, what would the original bar be? What are the chances of me finding a NOS original bar?

My plan is for a full restoration so any advice on the project would be appreciated.

Take a sample part from the interior to a Napa auto store that handles paint and look through their charts. Interior parts will have little color degradation from sunlight and will be close to original. I got a real close match to the old Homelite green metallic this way. They can even put it in a spray can for you.
I restored an XL with similar blue color, will see if I still have the can. Aerosol isn't a bad thing. I put a coat of clear poly for the last coat so it will be gas resistant. Be sure to use a self-etching primer on bare metal.

Take a sample part from the interior to a Napa auto store that handles paint and look through their charts. Interior parts will have little color degradation from sunlight and will be close to original. I got a real close match to the old Homelite green metallic this way. They can even put it in a spray can for you.
I restored an XL with similar blue color, will see if I still have the can. Aerosol isn't a bad thing. I put a coat of clear poly for the last coat so it will be gas resistant. Be sure to use a self-etching primer on bare metal.

Thanks, yeah the automotive paint match was my plan If I couldn’t find a code. They could probably use the camera an match it pretty well but I figured I’m not the first one down this road and that others must have found a match at some point.

1. I need a clutch removal/holder tool for a the 3 pin Oregon clutch assy installed.

- It's been a while since I did this one but, I didn't have a tool either. I inserted a couple punches in the clutch holes and wedged a large screwdriver or long socket extension through them for leverage to turn it off. Put a section of pull cord in your cylinder through the spark plug hole...enough to lock the cylinder....and it should break loose. That's how I did it. Someone else may have a better way...

2. How is the oil pick up tube installed into the case? It seems to just be pressed in but I don’t want to damage anything trying to remove it until I’m sure.

- I have never tried to remove that insert. Just pull the rubber oil line of the brass colored insert. I did not paint the inside of that oil reservoir. I left it as-is....nobody is going to see it anyway. I didn't want to risk painting it and having the paint come off and clog something.

Wow BIT, that is a beautiful saw! That’s my plan with this saw is to restore the saw beautifully. I have plenty of saws to use, I don’t need this to actually use. How did you paint the white raised surfaces? Was that by hand?

I will check that Honda color out, it definitely wasn’t the Honda color that I’ve heard mentioned before though. The colors I have heard we’re very good matches were Honda "highland blue" oem #PB55M PPG # 14759 and DE1616 Pontiac Blue Metallic and 1967 GM Marina Blue.

The help is appreciated!

Thanks. Yep, hand painted the raised areas and cleared it afterwards.

I always like hearing that someone is restoring something that belonged to a family member. The first saw I did was my grandpa's C-5. It was passed down through the family and finally ended up in my hands. Someday, it will go to my son. That saw was something that I remember when I was younger and it brought back a lot of good memories. Good luck on your project. Can't wait to see it when it's done!

Latest posts

Back