Homelite Super XL 925

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a 925 that is sucking air probably from the crankcase seal.

I am not doing the job myself, it's in the workshop and the mechanic asked me for the crankcase seal(s?) and the cylinder gasket.

I think I found most of what I need on e-bay however I can't get much of conversation going with the person selling the parts. He must be away and all I get, are the automated e-mail responses.

Can someone tell me what else would be necessary if the saw is to be opened up? I don't want to have to wait again weeks for another lot of parts to arrive.
By the way is it just one crankcase seal or two?

Thank you
Marc

Last edited:
sealing problem

This saw,as all saw have 2. One on each end of the crank shaft.Also keep in mind the crank case halves must be sealed properly.Next is the carb it self.Loose throttle shaft and/or choke shaft will create a leak. All carb gaskets also must be checked for compession. If you have a gasket with small raises on it,a simple fix for this is a very sharp flat blade in an EXACTO handle will cut those raise down.(The raises will restrict fuel and/or air delivery).Best to buy a carb kit!

Hum, I was wondering why didn't the mechanic ask for gasket to seal the two halfs. I doubd he has the part.
Will have to aks tomorrow.

Last edited:
The crankcase doesn't "split" on a 925. It has a cover plate that's held on with 3 screws and when removed you can access the crank for removal. There is an O-ring (67559) that goes around the plate that wouldn't hurt to be renewed, but no gasket.

Dan

Hey Marc, how does the 925 compare to the Super 1050 ??

I have a few 925's & love em. I have a 1050 that I havent run yet. Just curious to get another opinion.

You can feel the extra power and weight in the 1050 but the 925 is more than adequate. I was thinking in trying some milling with the 1050. I like the old Homelites, however lately I am thinking in a Stihl 090 just to go full size. :laugh:

So back to my question, I'll be OK with 2 Crankcase seals, the O ring for the plate, Cylinder gasket? ... what about the petrol tank, no gasket there?

Last edited:
CrazyCarl said:
This saw,as all saw have 2.

Not neccesarily. My 075 has 3 seals. Two on the PTO side. Has to do with a peculiar arrangement of the oiler drive. Also, my Mac 125s and kart saw have two seals on the magneto side. I don't see that the outer one is particularly needed but I replace it anyway.

Still, I imagine that 99.5% of saws just have the 2 seals.

Chris B.

Marc1 said:
what about the petrol tank, no gasket there?
There is a gasket for the tank, but it doesn't need to be separated to access the crankcase. The only reason to split the tank is to clean inside the gas or oil reservoirs.

Dan

Back