Homemade bits and pieces ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not as long as u run the lines around the uprights on either end of the barrels... These are there so you can tie off the lines as needed too... We have been able to pull it off so far, but it works best if kept between 45degrees on either side.

Did you prefab the barrels them selfs or were they made from pipe? What's the actual thickness of the metal the barrels are made out of? You did a nice job. Maybe not all the bells and whistles of ones costing 2000.00 bucks, but functional and simple. I've seen a few homemade lowing devices, yours is one of the better ones.

Did you prefab the barrels them selfs or were they made from pipe? What's the actual thickness of the metal the barrels are made out of? You did a nice job. Maybe not all the bells and whistles of ones costing 2000.00 bucks, but functional and simple. I've seen a few homemade lowing devices, yours is one of the better ones.

Barrel is made out of 4.5" 1/4 wall. Everything is made of 1/4" and the pins are 1/2" fairlead bars are 5/8 ths...should be able to handle anything.

attachment.php

147585d1282008784-tree-3-jpg

attachment.php

This is just some of the stuff that I have made. If i posted any more i my get some heat about safety. (NO HOMEMADE LIFE SPPORT FOR ME)

Made this one weekend in my garage with some cylinders from tractor supply
257970d1350615014-grapple-bucket-jpg

Nice job. You might findout that the grapples are gonna bend without some kind of brace on the sides of them. looks like you could have gotten more movement range out of the cylinders.

Those rigging plates look a little thin around the oustide of the holes. Some things just arent worth risking safety by making in house.

They are made from 1/4" plate steel. Have u seen how thin the aluminum ones are?. I will be testing these before I use them. I have seen what 1/4" is capable of handling, and I'm sure they will hold up to whatever I throw at em.

CC, what are you using for tighting up the webbing around the tree to hold it on? Store bought ones have a metal gear where you can put in a metal bar and really torque it down. you think a commeral ratchet tie down with 3in webbing would be strong enough?
I am going to try my hand at making one I think. Thanks.

Giant strap!

attachment.php
attachment.php
CC, what are you using for tighting up the webbing around the tree to hold it on? Store bought ones have a metal gear where you can put in a metal bar and really torque it down. you think a commeral ratchet tie down with 3in webbing would be strong enough?
I am going to try my hand at making one I think. Thanks.
View attachment 259576View attachment 259577

4" ratchet strap, 20,000 mbs 6,500wll definately strong! The one in the pic is a custom one I built for a guy in Ohio, he wanted a fairlead on both sides so I did it for him. Stihl got some clean up and paint to do to it. But yeah 4 inch ratchet strap is hardcore and willhhandle anything. It makes the device part of the tree and is stout as ****!

Last edited:
Not homemade but improved?

While shopping in my favorite store,"Harbor freight", I saw a 1 and a half ton pulley for $12.00. As to be expected I wouldn't trust it with any amount of weight. But at $13.00 dollars I bought two. I took em home and dismantled them. I doubled up the sides and replaced the nut and bolts with some grade 8 ones. For thirty dollars I have a decent pulley. Would I use it to catch chunks or a top, no I wouldn't. Will it be used to lower limbs and what not, don't see why not. View attachment 261889View attachment 261890

While shopping in my favorite store,"Harbor freight", I saw a 1 and a half ton pulley for $12.00. As to be expected I wouldn't trust it with any amount of weight. But at $13.00 dollars I bought two. I took em home and dismantled them. I doubled up the sides and replaced the nut and bolts with some grade 8 ones. For thirty dollars I have a decent pulley. Would I use it to catch chunks or a top, no I wouldn't. Will it be used to lower limbs and what not, don't see why not. View attachment 261889View attachment 261890

I have the same one, I didn't double it up like u did but I use it as a re-direct for pulling jobs. I have used it to catch a few heavy loads as well with no issues.. when I did use it to catch wood it was only when I was using double rigging lines to swing a couple 30' limbs out from over a roof. I had the limb tip tied and butt tied with 2 different rigging points. (no shockloading)Well worth the money. I like how u doubled it all up too. Great thinking. We can never have too many redirect pulleys right....

Made this one weekend in my garage with some cylinders from tractor supplyView attachment 257970

Got any pics of it in the open position? Curious to see how much it opens up with those cylinders mounted there... Awesome job man, I love welding on heavy steel. What thickness is the claws made out of ? 3/8ths or 1/2"??? Either way it looks strong.

My grapple doesnt look like it but it actually opens to 36". I wasn't quite done with it and I have it really braced up. I works good but I have to make hard lines on some areas to eliminate some of the hose if possible. Anyone know of a good way other than using black threaded pipe to make these out of? I am really happy with it otherwise Its about the equivalent of the bobcat one that I got the measurments. I am really happy that I have about $850-900 into it and it took me about a weekend to build.

They are made from 1/4" plate steel. Have u seen how thin the aluminum ones are?. I will be testing these before I use them. I have seen what 1/4" is capable of handling, and I'm sure they will hold up to whatever I throw at em.

Grappels bend, its just the nature of the abuse/work thats thrown at them, they just dont easily bend back!

Yours looks very cool, well done!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back