How do I make my meyer lemon more of a tree shape not a bush?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

citygarden

Reaction score
I'm very new to growing citrus trees. Our improved meyer lemon tree is planted in the ground in a city garden. It has been in the ground 8 months and is about one foot tall. How do I encourage growth so that it becomes a tree shaped lemon tree and not a bush? The base of the tree has three branches pointing in three different directions. What do I do? Thanks so much for any help!

From my experance if you wanted a real bushy plant ,hedge , rosebush or tree then you would constintly make cuts or pruning at the tip. Once cut it will grow twice or a fork from that point. If you want it tall then dont touch it at all untill its starts getting to the point where it looks like it could break a limb off then lighten accordingly. On the other hand trees that are constanty reduced has a tendency to grow straight up & dont look as good as when the laterals are left to spread out. Let it grow then in say 1 year from next spring make a bunch of tip cut offs & then you have full productin and lots of lemons

You can train it like a bonsi . Get a few of those rubber tire pieces with the wires on the ends. Set it up like you would if you were to run cable between branches to keep the whole limb from brake offs. Every few months re adjust the position a little at a time.

Latest posts

Back