How much detail in an estimate?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DKdeOhio

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi All - quick question from the newb files.
How detailed do you get on an estimate? I am putting together a bid on a big (for me) multifaceted job and I am afraid when the HO sees numbers by 'Labor' or 'Fuel' or whatever he may try to "tweak" my proposal ("Aww you don't a third laborer...")
I think my price is fair to HO and myself. The job involves some subcontracting as well.
Thanks in advance for the continued sage advice!
DK

Last edited:
Hi All - quick question from the newb files.
How detailed do you get on an estimate? I am putting together a bid on a big (for me) multifaceted job and I am afraid when the HO sees numbers by 'Labor' or 'Fuel' or whatever he may try to "tweak" my proposal ("Aww you don't a third laborer...")
I think my price is fair to HO and myself. The job involves some subcontracting as well.
Thanks in advance for the continued sage advice!
DK

Only thing I can add, in small letters, somewhere on the form-"not responsible for damage to underground installations not specifically mentioned" Let 'er rip instead of the fancy pants rope down every twig stuff.

A job estimate should include the overall price for the service, fuel and labor included, not sure why I would break that out on an estimate. Never had a client try to 'line item' a labor charge, I supply the labor and pay the labor and that cost is in the estimate. As for hiring subs, their price should be included under your estimate. It will be your responsibility to make sure they are licensed and insured as independant contractors otherwise they are working for you and you are resposibile for them as well. You can also include some site prep requirements, ie move lawn funiture, tie up dog, mark sprinkler heads ect. As for not responsibile for damage to facilities nor marked clause, good luck, if I drop a log and it breaks a sprinkler line, in the name of good customer service I will fix it for free. A lot of my work comes from referals so I will take care of those that pay me well. Can't see causing damage and laying that on a homeowner, just not good business in my opinion. If this is a large project you might want to add a payment plan for stages of work completion so you can keep up your cash flow. One thing I do add on most estimates is a time frame the estimate is good for, typical 30 days. After that I will charge to come out and do it again.

thanks for response

Thanks for the input, fellas. I know there is a lot of stuff on AS about contractual info, I was more curious about the line item info - (how much should the HO know about the expenses) but I think most ppl will agree with DaDaT - just show a 'price' (and what to do, responsibilities, etc) - It seems more clear to me now...

Depends on the estimate. If it is hourly ork then, yes I charge per man hour but I suspect they arel ooking for a flat price. I would just give them a single price. You may break it into a couple of different prices if you desire. However, I have found they more I break the price, the more likely the person will be wanting to save a few bucks and do some of the work or sub out some themselves. It never works out better.

it all depends on what the job in tales who it's for and how big it is!!

if it's a small tree removal in a front yard for $500.00 for a home owner it would read something like this

"remove apple tree and grind stump 10" below grade and hall all debris"

if it's a land clearing job for $500,000,00 for developers it would read like a short story of what u are going to do and what u are not and all the payment and timing terms and conditions would have been looked at by an attorney

with that said what is the job u need help righting the contact for the more info u post the better info u will get just leave off all the address and pricing stuff so your comp. can't beat your #

Latest posts

Back