How much is too much to cut off a pretty mature tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gixxerjim

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a two acre yard with maybe 150 trees total, mostly mature trees. Some of them have limbs/multiple main beams that start within 6' of the ground or less. I have tried to go through and cut some of these off to prevent them from getting ugly. I would like to be able to walk up to the trees without having to duck any low hanging branches etc, while building a tall tree with a wide canopy. I may have gotten a little out of hand trying to correct some neglect, and cut some pretty large diameter limbs off, reducing the effective canopy by maybe 25%. I don't know but I would appreciate any general guidelines you all may have about how much to cut off, how big a stem etc. These aer mostly maples with some walnut, willow, oak and pines as well....

25% would be your max without over stressing the tree according to ISA. Avoid cutting the oaks till after a few good freezes to avoid the dreaded Oak Wilt.
P.S. You don't use a shotgun do you ? :)

You say your trying to prevent the trees from looking ugly by cutting off large limbs. What some desire a tree to look like is not always, or ever, how the tree wants to grow. Try not to make too many large cuts, and make proper cuts, leaving the bark collar intact, no flush cuts!

I am not trying to be rude, you obviosly care for your trees and want to do the right thing.

I just got home from work, and it seems that so many customers think they are tree barbers, :) or even arborists. They know in their head exactly how they want their tree to look, (horrible) and telling them otherwise does not work most of the time. Oh well I'll just keep politely trying to educate the customer about responsible tree care.

gixx, your one of the good ones I'm glad you asked before doing something you might regret.

If you say you have already gotten out of hand and cut some big limbs off,then I would stop.Look to see if you can remove the small branches that are hanging down OFF the large limbs to clear a way for you to walk instead of the larger branch and limb removal.If you can post a few pics,I will play with it and attempt to show you the cuts you can make and the ones you should avoid.

She's right, big wonds are bad. Not all trees need tohave a single stem. See the Pruning Mature Trees etc. info sheets at the link below.

Sheshovel said:
:blob1: :blob1: Treeseer I don't beleive it you actually agreed with me!!!
O yes Dear Lady, if we were both in that gentleman poster's yard I'm sure we would both be pruning off downright laterals to give him more of the upright look he wants from his trees.

So much cheaper, and easier on the tree.

Now, regarding filling over roots, and probing, and giving up on cracked trees, we still have our differences I fear. But this is a start!

jim, did you read that info sheet? Can you send some pictures?

I will read it today and send some pics after; I don't know that I have any "before" pics though.

I also made some flush cuts because I am an idiot and didn't do any research til after cutting. What should I do now to fix these flush cuts?

Latest posts

Back