how to kill this stump

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scootch

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
have three trees i need to cut down that are ~3-4 feet from pools edge. they are in a bed that is all ground cover.

these are not large trees - actually more like shrubs trained to tree - multiple offshoots from ground level that are about 3-5 inches in diameter each max and reach about 6-7 feet tall. maybe 4-6 per tree. on the backside the grade drops about 1-2' with a retaining wall so area is tight - cant dig up (not to mention possible pool works underground)

dont want to kill ground cover. concerned about proximity to pool.

thanks for any insight.

Use a stump killer, like Garlon, and just paint it (sparingly) on the outer cambium layer of each stem. That oughta do the trick.

Originally posted by rumination
Use a stump killer, like Garlon, and just paint it (sparingly) on the outer cambium layer of each stem. That oughta do the trick.

thanks.
is that available retail? i see it is quite expensive for a gallon. i am sure i don't need quite that much.

Good question about retail availability. I don't know. However, I'm sure if you go to any garden supply store they should carry some sort of stump killer. Just make sure to follow directions and don't spill any in the soil. Good luck!

Roundup or other glyphosphate will also work, concentrated, be cautious.

The main question being, why kill them? what species of plant are they and what is wrong with them?

the lady says there are termites in them. they have had their house treated and have the sentricon system installed in their yard. does bring up a good question. should she be worried? i did not check myself.

Oops- I posted a reply earlier that isn't showing up.-Triclopyr is the active in Garlon-it is available in lower concentration as Ortho Brush-B- Gon. About $10 per pint retail and it works very well.:)

I was in a hurry earlier. I am really interested in wether or not she really needs to cut these down. I primarily do lawn care but got this request. I cannot tell you what they are now but they are well groomed, healthy looking trees. They stated they have termites but they did not look infested. As I thought about this today, I began to recall that this may be normal or not too much of a concern since termites are pretty much everywhere. Am I wrong on this? I surely dont want to cut these trees down in the interest of making money. If it is the wrong thing to do it isnt worth the money at any rate.

Please let me know your thoughts.

The termite thing in live shrubs sounds ridiculous. AS far as cutting them down--well they do belong to their owner. He/she gets to decide.

ok thanks.
that being said i think i can convince them they dont need to be cut. i will contact a local arborist or pest control for verifcation.

i think that they are under false impressions

Termites look like white ants, easy to ID. Unless Formosan, they only eat dead wood so they are not killing the tree. You can expose them by removing rotten wood.

The pest control people are idiotic fearmongers who are missing out on a chance to expand their business by removing termites from trees. The owners should hire an arborist or you or anyone competent before they lose their assets.!

well try as i did i could not convince them to leave the trees. grandma wanted to keep. ma didnt. so i cut. and to my surprise one of the trees was completely infested. the majority of the tree didnt appear dead to me but the core was hollowed out obviously by termites. almost every stump/offshoot (3"-6") diamater center was hollowed out. would these be formosa termites? worries me because this is only three blocks from my house. every tree had some signs of the termites.

as i stated i really tried to talk her out of it requesting her to contact her pest control guy or an aborist.

the way i see it as the queen is always in the lower portion of the nest so removing the tree/shrub is not going to solve any white ant problems. If the tree is still structurally strong ( remembering that the strongest shape for a certain material to be formed in is a cylinder) all you are doing,besides creating an ugly yard, is forcing the nest to find a new food source.

THINK OUTYSIDE THE SQUARE YOU LIVE IN !!!!!!!! :blob2:

well as i said, i tried to talk them out of it. guess i could have refused to do it...

sorry not a hit at you just the poor public awareness on this matter. I am impressed that you have tried to find out more information, it sure beats most of the ground level garden companys in South Australia. :Monkey:

Back