How to remove metal cable grown into a large trunk?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as the cable, I'd not even fuss with it. Cut that part off and call it junk. At least that's what we do when we get steel in wood. It's not worth ruining chains or sawmill blades (usually)

Did have a customer last year want some old oak timbers made into 1bys. They came from an old barn from somewhere in the L48 and he paid $$$$$ for them (like more than a whole new barn cost alot!) They were loaded with old square nail pieces Like the nails mostly rusted, but not fully. He agreed to $35/blade., swore up and down he pulled out all the metal.

Killed about 10 blades on those timbers.
Funny thing too, he squeaked hard at $350 for blades, but had no issue spending several 10ks on the wood.
As far as the cable, I'd not even fuss with it. Cut that part off and call it junk. At least that's what we do when we get steel in wood. It's not worth ruining chains or sawmill blades (usually)

Did have a customer last year want some old oak timbers made into 1bys. They came from an old barn from somewhere in the L48 and he paid $$$$$ for them (like more than a whole new barn cost alot!) They were loaded with old square nail pieces Like the nails mostly rusted, but not fully. He agreed to $35/blade., swore up and down he pulled out all the metal.

Killed about 10 blades on those timbers.
Funny thing too, he squeaked hard at $350 for blades, but had no issue spending several 10ks on the wood.
I'm just curious, when you Mill with a band Mill, can't you detect nails and other metal with a metal detector like they use for security stops at the airport, or like guys use to find stuff in the sand at the beach? Are they effective in hardwood? Just wondering.

I don't see a pucker in the bark, where the paint is.
That would tell me the cable is pretty deep, for the tree to have it that well overgrown (compartmentalized ?).
My thought would be to start where the cable exits the bark, if you're going to try extracting it.

Heck, this might be a good spot for one of the carbide tipped chains.
Just bear in mind that rust/oxide will wear most anything you can drag across it.

Cutting cable with a chain or saw blade vs abrasive is probably gonna be a jerky affair and a bit rough on the tool & aggravating for the tool holder
I have zero experience with Carbide chain, but I was told that if you hit metal with Carbide it will instantly break off all the teeth and destroy the expensive chain. is this true, or bs? as for this cable problem, I have tons of ideas to try. I'm going to work on it for a few hours and decide if it is futile or worth more effort.

I think that is a good idea to keep from trashing a nice chain. maybe worth a try until my hands vibrate offf. Thank you
Use a long blade and round the tip off where it is about 1/4" wide....that will keep it from biting into the bottom of the cut and jamming your hands with a pull cut.
blade.jpg

Metal detectors will only detect a few inches deep. The better detectors claim 6-8" but wet logs can reduce that considerably. Yes carbide will shed teeth and is very expensive chain unless you use someone's throwaways.

I'm just curious, when you Mill with a band Mill, can't you detect nails and other metal with a metal detector like they use for security stops at the airport, or like guys use to find stuff in the sand at the beach? Are they effective in hardwood? Just wondering.

I've seen it done at a mill. They were using a small handheld wand.

I have zero experience with Carbide chain, but I was told that if you hit metal with Carbide it will instantly break off all the teeth and destroy the expensive chain. is this true, or bs? as for this cable problem, I have tons of ideas to try. I'm going to work on it for a few hours and decide if it is futile or worth more effort.
Carbide chain and steel don't go together well. Carbide really shines in dirty or abrasive cutting.

Here is what I ended up doing, I used my small stihl with worn out chain and probed around the cable, then I dug around with a big hammer and a screw driver. turns out it was a 5" long eye bolt looped thru a cable. I removed the wire clamp with an electric impact wrench and some oil, then used a big crow bar to un-screw the eye bolt. was much less of a big deal than I thought. then I cut slabs with my sister. She is a strong woman!

Attachments

• IMG_20170701_1336484.jpg
    IMG_20170701_1336484.jpg
    8.3 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20170701_1326141.jpg
    IMG_20170701_1326141.jpg
    8 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20170701_1552128.jpg
    IMG_20170701_1552128.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 76
Here is what I ended up doing, I used my small stihl with worn out chain and probed around the cable, then I dug around with a big hammer and a screw driver. turns out it was a 5" long eye bolt looped thru a cable. I removed the wire clamp with an electric impact wrench and some oil, then used a big crow bar to un-screw the eye bolt. was much less of a big deal than I thought. then I cut slabs with my sister. She is a strong woman!

That is sweet! The wood I mean. One heck of a slab.

Back