Husky 272 carb issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmerboy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok, am having a problem with a 272K I just got.
1) saw has been sitting for a number of years because the recoil starter needed replacement.
2) cylinder and piston look very good, but I replaced the rings.
3) I put some sea foam in the gas and had the saw idling a while, throttled up and down a bit.

What I'm getting now is the pause when I'm giving it some throttle. I've always been able to fix this by enriching the low idle. However, adjusting the low idle needle does not seem to make a difference. Still getting the pause and sometime engine shut off due to gas starvation. So what I'm wondering is if there is a specific carb issue. Is a basic rebuild kit going to do anything? Or do I need to replace the carb? What exactly is going on?

1) saw has been sitting for a number of years because the recoil starter needed replacement.
3) I put some sea foam in the gas and had the saw idling a while, throttled up and down a bit.

What I'm getting now is the pause when I'm giving it some throttle. I've always been able to fix this by enriching the low idle. However, adjusting the low idle needle does not seem to make a difference. Still getting the pause and sometime engine shut off due to gas starvation. So what I'm wondering is if there is a specific carb issue. Is a basic rebuild kit going to do anything? Or do I need to replace the carb? What exactly is going on?
I had a similar issue with my 272 and just put a carb kit in it and out was solved.

Ur carb diaphragms might be stiff from age or no use so the won’t pump gas properly, would do a carb kit at least

Could be the fuel filter. Try replacing that first before replacing the carb.

Check your final fuel filter inside the carb. Don't have to remove the carb just remove the top cover and gaskets and right where the fuel enters the carb there is 1/4" hole with a fine screen at the bottom. You would replace this with a carb kit anyway but if the seafoam has released a bunch of fines that made it through the tank filter this may well be your problem. Just pull the screen and clean if need be.

Check your final fuel filter inside the carb. Don't have to remove the carb just remove the top cover and gaskets and right where the fuel enters the carb there is 1/4" hole with a fine screen at the bottom. You would replace this with a carb kit anyway but if the seafoam has released a bunch of fines that made it through the tank filter this may well be your problem. Just pull the screen and clean if need be.
Agree, mine had debris in it when I did the carb kit.

Looks like I'll have to replace the carb. The thread for the idle adjust is messed up. Would anyone know what aftermarket replacement for a Tillotson HS 255B ?

Latest posts

Back