Husky 288 Muffler Mod Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YUKON 659

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I just got of the phone with Rich Hoffman. We were discussing muffler mods for the 288 I just picked up. I was wondering why the muffler is designed with one exhaust deflector blowing back into another and then out the front of the saw. I would like to remove the back one and turn the front one around and I wasn't sure if this would cause any problems or not. Any thoughts from anyone? I got a couple of pictures of it....

Jeff

Don't know why it is set up like that, but I do know that if the screwed on deflector "comes off" the exhaust will melt the chainbrake plastic.

Back pressure

Jeff , it looks like the old turn the exhaust 90 degrees then turn 180 degrees trick to me . Maybe the exhaust outlet hole is so big that they made the reverse plate to increase back pressure . If you put a deflector on pointing forward you could try different screens to get the optimum back pressure .

Newfie said:
Don't know why it is set up like that, but I do know that if the screwed on deflector "comes off" the exhaust will melt the chainbrake plastic.
Mike, you're not talking from experience are you? :p I definatelly will not leave the screwed on deflector off...I would just like to turn it around.

Jeff

Scott, I may just do that but I was hoping to get some more input from someone who has already done a 288 muffler.

Jeff

YUKON 659 said:
Mike, you're not talking from experience are you? :p I definatelly will not leave the screwed on deflector off...I would just like to turn it around.

Jeff

Errr... yeah! The 288 went on the list of saws that moron brush feeders don't ever touch.

Back