Husky 359 Muffler Mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonewolf359

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just purchased a new 359 Husky w/catalytic converter muffler. Can this be modded? If so how? It doesn't appear like the other mods shown since it has a cat. Should I replace with one that uses a regular muffler?

I just did my Jonsered 2159 cat muffler. I put one deflector on the brake side in the back half of muffler and a deflector on the starter side in the front half of muffler.

Do you have any pictures of the mod? From what I have it looks pretty straight forward. Do you know anything about the fuel ratio? Some threads are suggesting 32:1, but they don't say what mods need done to run correctly!

Below are pics of what I did. I used a holesaw to cut a hole in the muffler and in the plate inside the muffler. The drill process is a straight shot in as both holes are very close. I deburred the holes and welded a washer with a screen onto the outside of the muffler.

When the saw was stock this made a noticeable improvement in performance. Now that the saw was ported by EHP it is a real performer!!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

How about the carb adj. screws? They have limiters around them. How do you remove them to get more adjustment?

There are a couple of ways to take care of the limits on the carb, many recommend a dremel. Personally I used a small set of dikes and cleaned up the remaining marks with an exacto knife.
I have the same question you do about modding the cat muffler. In another post that I dug up, Marky mark said that he used a dremel from the port side of the muffler of a 346, I never got any additional information on what exactly he did but I like the idea of leaving the outside stock looking. I also think that if part of the baffle remains it may knock down the noise while still breathing better.

Art did you fabricate the additional deflectors or did you pick those up somewhere? Also I understand the fastest .325 oregon chain is the 20 series which is somewhat like the 73lp, is the lp the fastest 3/8 chain and how does that vanguard that rich has compare to the other 3/8? When I did a search someone eluded to having a chart from oregon comparing the speed of different chain configurations. I'd love to see that. Have you guys ever tried or thought of trying 95vp with a 8 tooth sprocket on the 359/2159? Thanks in advance.

Lucky

Hello Lucky, the deflector on the starter side came from an old 346 muffler. The brake side deflector is from a 088. My brother in law runs the 95vp on his 357. He can make any chain cut. The fastest chain is the one you can file the best. The only way to find out is to try different ones.

Latest posts

Back