Husqvarna 142 oil leak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudbilly

Reaction score
Hi All, i searched but didn't se anything, if this has been discussed please post a link to the thread..

i have a fairly new, low milage Husky 142 and love it. the only issue i have is that after i am done and it is sitting on the shelf it leaks chain oil , all of the oil leaks out....

i was going to start taking it apart, but thought that i could get some information, if not for this exact model, information in general on what the problem could be and how to fix it without taking it into a shop.....

i am a big fan of forums like this so here i am....

thanks

mud

I have had my 142 for about 6 years and it has always leaked. Most of my saws mark their spot to some extent, but the 142 is the worst. I just empty the oil tank when I am done for the day.

Mine gets pretty oily after running, but once this drips down out the clutch area it stops.

I remember a member that had either a 141 or 142 that the oil tank vent behind the bar plate leaked. If you'd clean the area behind the clutch and bar plate area after you run it next and set the saw on newspaper you'll see where to disassemble.

I have the same saw and it will do that from time to time. What I have noticed when I give it a good cleaning it seems to stop.

thanks all,

i'll take the clutch cover off and clean everything up, inspect what i can and see what happens.

i'll update the thread with results...........eventually :)

I won my saw free at a retail establishment by winning a lawn mower driving contest. Yes it leaked oil right from the start, but it can be fixed. The problem is a rubber fitting that the worm gear driven oiler is mounted in. The rubber fitting (called the "Oil Pick-up") extends from the oiler back into the chain oil reservoir and is in two pieces where the oiler is mounted. The two pieces are the problem. They do not create a tight enough seal to prevent the oil from leaking out of the revervoir. On "PartsTree.com" I found a one piece fitting for the "142 e" model and used it to replace the two-piece fitting that was on my saw and this solved the issue for me.

Remove the clutch drum and clutch assembly from the driveshaft. The clutch assembly is reverse threaded onto the driveshaft if I remember correctly. The clutch assembly is held together by a pretty stout spring and it is a beast to re-assemble, so don't take it apart. Behind the clutch assembly and mounted to the engine casing is a plastic cover covering the oiler assembly. Remove this cover carefully and this exposes the oiler and your problem. When I inserted my new "Oil Pick-up", I cleaned the passage way into the oil reservoir with carb cleaner to remove all the oil and used a little Permatex gasket sealer on the "Oil Pick-up" to create a good seal. Re-assemble everything in reverse order and you are good to go.

FYI. This saw will pump oil while it is idling, so if you let it idle very long it will look like it is leaking oil.

Update: When I got home I discovered that my saw was a Husqvarna 137, but the problem was exactly the same. All the oil would leak out. The Partstree part number (545037101 ) is the same for both model saws. Hope this helps you out.

Last edited:
THANKS all, especially absolute value, :blob2:

i'll try and operate on it as soon as possible and update the thread when the verdict is in

any chance that you have the part number for this piece from PartsTree.com ?

Last edited:
The problem is a rubber fitting that the worm gear driven oiler is mounted in. The rubber fitting (called the "Oil Pick-up") extends from the oiler back into the chain oil reservoir and is in two pieces where the oiler is mounted. The two pieces are the problem. They do not create a tight enough seal to prevent the oil from leaking out of the revervoir. On "PartsTree.com" I found a one piece fitting for the "142 e" model and used it to replace the two-piece fitting that was on my saw and this solved the issue for me.
And mine is a 142e, so that is consistent with what I've experienced.

It doesn't say so in the manual but all 142's will leak bar oil continuously because it's a siphon/gravity fed oiling system.

To fix, and I don't know why they don't say it in the manual, do the following when you are done using the saw and are ready to store it for a while. Typically there's cleanup to be done to a chainsaw after use anyway, just add this to the routine.

Set the saw on it's side and open the bar/chain oil cap. You'll see a tapered ledge on the topside of the filling hole, this is where you take place the oil feed tube when the saw isn't being used. The ledge/flap has an angle on the top of it to keep the tube from popping off the other side so just stick your finger in the tank, push the oil tube towards the back of the chainsaw inside the tank and then flip it around the top of that ledge which will keep the tube above the oil line while it's being stored thus stopping the flow of oil.

When you're ready to use the saw again, open up the bar/chain oil tank and flip the tube back down to where the end is visible once again through the hole.

Many older saws with pumpless oiling systems have this same method, its just one of those things that isn't included in the largely standardized instruction manuals these days.

I happen to like pumpless oiling systems. They are so simple that you don't have to worry about any valves breaking or any pumps wearing out. It's reliable but just requires you to get the tip of your finger a little oily and sometimes doesn't flow enough oil for long cuts so you have to pause a little. Other than that, it really makes the chainsaw more reliable.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
:msp_thumbup: i really like this idea, because i do not have to take anything apart, i currently have it sitting on my work bench waiting for me to do something, and this sounds easy to try before going any further....

i let y'all know how it works whenever i get around to it..... which will be 10 minutes before i need to cut wood....:hmm3grin2orange:

Curious. If I order part number 530014410 (the 142 oil pump), what will I get? It might be worth a look at the IPL.

It doesn't say so in the manual but all 142's will leak bar oil continuously because it's a siphon/gravity fed oiling system.

To fix, and I don't know why they don't say it in the manual, do the following when you are done using the saw and are ready to store it for a while. Typically there's cleanup to be done to a chainsaw after use anyway, just add this to the routine.

Set the saw on it's side and open the bar/chain oil cap. You'll see a tapered ledge on the topside of the filling hole, this is where you take place the oil feed tube when the saw isn't being used. The ledge/flap has an angle on the top of it to keep the tube from popping off the other side so just stick your finger in the tank, push the oil tube towards the back of the chainsaw inside the tank and then flip it around the top of that ledge which will keep the tube above the oil line while it's being stored thus stopping the flow of oil.

When you're ready to use the saw again, open up the bar/chain oil tank and flip the tube back down to where the end is visible once again through the hole.

Many older saws with pumpless oiling systems have this same method, its just one of those things that isn't included in the largely standardized instruction manuals these days.

I happen to like pumpless oiling systems. They are so simple that you don't have to worry about any valves breaking or any pumps wearing out. It's reliable but just requires you to get the tip of your finger a little oily and sometimes doesn't flow enough oil for long cuts so you have to pause a little. Other than that, it really makes the chainsaw more reliable.

Hope that helps.

Welcome new guy!

I have to try to understand what your saying here. A 142 is a gravity fed, pumpless system?

Not hardly, there a gear driven pump system, plain and simple. Now I dont have a clue about flipping the oil pickup on some ledge, but I have a 141 here and someday I'll check that out.

Curious. If I order part number 530014410 (the 142 oil pump), what will I get? It might be worth a look at the IPL.

That part number looks like you will get the Oiler and the round plastic cover that protects the Oiler. Partstree.com says this part number has been replaced with part number 545036801.

That part number looks like you will get the Oiler and the round plastic cover that protects the Oiler. Partstree.com says this part number has been replaced with part number 545036801.
Thanks, I appreciate you looking it up - but I was really being a smart a$$ and pointing out the 142 does indeed have an oil pump, and that the "gravity feed" comments were incorrect. Your previous explanation regarding the oil pick up answered the question quite well as to why my later 142e doesn't leak and some earlier variants do. No mysteries, just a leaky fitting and a relatively easy fix (good job by the way).

Thanks WoodHeat. I too was wondering why an oil pump would be on a pumpless saw.:msp_confused:

MudBilly, my saw not only would leak all the oil from the reservior while stored, but while running the faulty oil pickup assembly could not even deliver any oil to the bar and chain. The oil would just flow quite freely out from under the chain backing plate (and onto my boots) while the saw was running leaving me with a hot and dry bar and chain. The $6.00 oil pick-up assembly is alot cheaper than a new bar and chain. Just trying to save you from burning up a good bar.

Take a look at the parts list diagram. Even the bad design lists the good part number as a replacement.

Bad design: Parts and Diagrams for Husqvarna 142 (2005-03)

Good design: Parts and Diagrams for Husqvarna 142 e (2006-12)

Hi All, i searched but didn't se anything, if this has been discussed please post a link to the thread..

i have a fairly new, low milage Husky 142 and love it. the only issue i have is that after i am done and it is sitting on the shelf it leaks chain oil , all of the oil leaks out....

i was going to start taking it apart, but thought that i could get some information, if not for this exact model, information in general on what the problem could be and how to fix it without taking it into a shop.....

i am a big fan of forums like this so here i am....

thanks

Well, here we go. I am a small engine mechanic, and re-condition equip't as a hobby. I have a 137, same saw, and I sold it. The customer came back complaining about the oil puddle. I have had it on the bench for a week, and not a drop of gravity seepage. I ran it for 30 mintes, went thru some mid-size hickory, a tank of fuel, and than plopped it on the bench again. Always on cardboard.......by the way. 2 hrs. later, it was sitting in an over-sized footprint of fresh clean bar oil.....it gets better.

I serviced the clutch cover, wiped the saw clean, and left it, on fresh cardboard, for 2 days. Not a drop. I shot a video of the saw, idling on the bench, with the oil droplets clearly popping out of the oil pump passage, and drooling down the casing. I put the cover back on, and went to bed. Not a drop of seepeage. So, I realized the extra oil was from a pump that works perfectly.......and, that I had used Winter weight oil by mistake. It has the viscosity of 30W non-detergent oil for most lawn/garden equip't. The oil was way too thin for this time of year. The oil pump was quirting the stuff like it was WD-40!

I drained the system, and filled it with Summer weight/gear lube/heavy oil, and the extra oil went away. That day. I don't discount the guys who have worn out, over-oiling oil pumps, or vent tubes that allow seepage. I just share with you, what this skinned knuckle figured out. Now, wheres that guys number????????????????

mud

Well, here we go. I am a small engine mechanic, and re-condition equip't as a hobby. I have a 137, same saw, and I sold it. The customer came back complaining about the oil puddle. I have had it on the bench for a week, and not a drop of gravity seepage. I ran it for 30 mintes, went thru some mid-size hickory, a tank of fuel, and than plopped it on the bench again. Always on cardboard.......by the way. 2 hrs. later, it was sitting in an over-sized footprint of fresh clean bar oil.....it gets better.

I serviced the clutch cover, wiped the saw clean, and left it, on fresh cardboard, for 2 days. Not a drop. I shot a video of the saw, idling on the bench, with the oil droplets clearly popping out of the oil pump passage, and drooling down the casing. I put the cover back on, and went to bed. Not a drop of seepeage. So, I realized the extra oil was from a pump that works perfectly.......and, that I had used Winter weight oil by mistake. It has the viscosity of 30W non-detergent oil for most lawn/garden equip't. The oil was way too thin for this time of year. The oil pump was quirting the stuff like it was WD-40!

I drained the system, and filled it with Summer weight/gear lube/heavy oil, and the extra oil went away. That day. I don't discount the guys who have worn out, over-oiling oil pumps, or vent tubes that allow seepage. I just share with you, what this skinned knuckle figured out. Now, wheres that guys number????????????????

Latest posts

Back