Husqvarna 353G mystery hose nipple on carb base - 44.3mm vs 45mm jug

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basal_Prune

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the purpose of the circled part in the attached picture? Nothing was attached to it when dissembled and can't find anything in manuals so far. Also, any opinions of the 44.3mm vs 45mm top ends? This saw will be mostly used for cutting eastern white pine regen and invasive shrubs/vines so I'm more interested in fuel efficiency and RMP.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20230622_085248 copy.jpg
    20230622_085248 copy.jpg
    798.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230622_085306.jpg
    20230622_085306.jpg
    501.2 KB · Views: 0
Good question. My 353 also has one. It could be that the 350, which had a primer bulb option. used it with a fuel line attached and this nipple was not removed from the 353 case. That's my best guess. I hope you like your 353 as much as I like mine. I alternate back and forth between the 353 and my Stihl 026 Pro. Both have 18" bars and are great firewood saws. The Husky seems a bit more fuel efficient than the Stihl, and I am running the 45 mm top end.

Thanks, that's an interesting theory, I'll check out the 350 service manuals. I haven't had the opportunity to get to know this saw too well yet. I inherited it at work and it was all boogered up so I've been replacing all the seals and gaskets. I have a jonsered 2149 that I put a 346 top end on and it's a good little saw for the truck. I love the compatibility between all of these jonny/husky chassis.

There has always been a tank vent of some sort on all fuel tanks. On the 346/353 it was a stacked pair of simple filter disks on the rear handle from the earliest year to early 2007. However the nipple was added to the carb base plate in the 2003/2004 time frame when they went from the twist-lock filter to the wire bale filter. So that means the nipple was added before Husky went to a vent that had a hose going to the carb area. And when they did add the hose in mid-2007, it was attached to the air filter holder, not the nipple. I believe this happened as part of the 346NE release. So now I'm confused what the nipple is for. Maybe a Jonsered model uses it??? Maybe they expected to use it but the EPA insisted it be vented into the carb?

I'll have to look at my 346's and 353's to see if any of them use the nipple.

I don't have a whole pile of experience with this chassis, I've built a couple 353's, and recently converted my 2149 to a 44.3 top end. Even with only a base gasket delete it is easily as strong as the last 353 I ported, and deals can be found on the OEM top end on eBay still. Sub $120 last I checked.

I don't have a whole pile of experience with this chassis, I've built a couple 353's, and recently converted my 2149 to a 44.3 top end. Even with only a base gasket delete it is easily as strong as the last 353 I ported, and deals can be found on the OEM top end on eBay still. Sub $120 last I checked.
Oh yeah, you better believe I jumped on an OEM top end. Great discussion all around folks. Appreciate it

Is that part number 544142908?

Back