hydrangia tree dying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONSSTIHL

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
my parents have a really old 30+ years hydrangia tree that is about 8 feet tall with three prominent branches and the middle one is dead and rotted out. my mom told me to cut it off but i know better. I would be cutting atleast 2/3 of the crown.

my question is, would it be smarter to wait until the fall when the tree is dormant or just cut it off now. the leaves are starting to come out.

to clarify the branch in question is dead and rotted in the middle but seems to still have some life in it on the outside.

will try to get pics later

thanks

We have one at our weekender. It must be 12' tall and wider around and in perfect health. The bloom is blinding. Wish I had a pic.

They do get pretty ugly in their trunks. You can cut the dead at any time. I liked the, "I know better" line. Take your time. It's better to cut the dead to allow for the living to fill in easier but as you can see pruning in that mess with test you. I would pick at it in the center of the dead first. But Jon let me tell you even I, a pro have taken off branches that really messed up the look and character of the plant. So be careful and use much reserve. Might want to use some strapping to support the other branches when you're done so you don't lose more. Good luck and post the pics when you get'em.

Back