Hydro splitting (as in H2O as in water) anybody ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tatra805

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
HI,

Found this thing some while back and this really seems to work for home purposes.

http://www.holzspalter.it/

f97eefc87b.jpg

In german but its about a high pressure washer powered wood splitter.

Anybody any experiences or comments?

Its just that i do have a generator and a Karcher and this then would take half of the investment from a hydraulic splitter.

I must be kidding right?:monkey:

No way i am translating their pages, they are writing long sentences.
They are aware not a lot of people will have an open mind about this with hydraulics being so common so they have to explain and explain and explain.

Point is:

replace the hydraulics with water and you have a cheaper, cleaner and more controlable medium to power your splitter.

I see that they also have pro- models up to 3-link mounted etc

1 benefit i also like, you put your engine - sound source as far away as you like, only depends on how long your hose is.

Looking at the video i would say that 50% of their potential succes is the knive, not the pressure source.

Dont know - would like to test and see.

Gordie,

the translation leaves a bit to be desired however I think what they are saying is :

1. Oil Hydraulics are less efficient and pollute more.

2. In the EU there is a new law that will require, when you sell real estate, that you have an enviromental check done on the property. It will pick up such things as oil spills, chemicals, etc and if there are issues you have to fix them before you sell. They are implying that hydraulics will possibly cause you not to pass.

3. In the future manufacturers are going to be under more pressure not to use oil hydraulics because of the enviromental issues of the oil.

I know in the EU the laws on ground and water pollution are much tougher than here.

@turnkey

regarding the water in combination with the cylinder and other parts they give a long explanation about the materials used. Short quote: it does not all have to be stainless to work with water, there are more different materials suitable and commonly used that do not suffer from the contact with water.

In 1 of the press reviews they also explain this alternative system which is a copy of a hydraulic system after all but was put together with parts that would not work in such system as they are designed to work with water.

These guys are not trying to throw up a ball and see what happens. It really looks as they know what they are doing and the system is not a try out or a result of trial and error but of engineering.

I do follow some of their ideas but would like to hear your opinions as i have no more knowledge of hydraulic systems as i have of the hygenic habits of a termite...

Back