I have made my decision

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deezulsmoke

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Between the 260 pro and the ms361, I am going with the 361 with a 20" bar. I stopped by the john deere shop yesterday to look at one. It is one mean looking saw. They also had a 440 in there also with a 25" bar. HMMMMM I know I dont need it, but I want it lol. This is a bad place to join, you all already have me wanting to buy saws I dont need :) I believe they also had a 460 in there also. My question is will I notice a big difference in cutting from going to a ms290 to the 361 ?? Also I am wondering how long of a bar does a person need before you start looking at half or full skip chains ?? I am planning on going with a good round full chisel cut blade for this saw. I am hoping the 361 will allow me to rip thru stuff a bit quicker than the 290 did. I had a guy at one of the shops tell me I could go with a 25" bar on the 290, but I really dont think that saw would run that size bar very well, although it does run a 20" pretty dang good. I usually cut cherry, oak, hickory, ect. Pretty much all hardwoods. Thanks for the help and comments on here, I love this site, although you all are going to cause me to go broke from buying these new high priced toys lol.

I really liked that 026 just because of the light weight of the saw. I just didn't think I would see much of a difference in that and the 290 besides the weight. That 361 is still about a half pound lighter than my 290.

Good choice.

On your 361 you will want to start running skip chain on bars larger than 20". You will find that this helps keep the RPM up in the powerband when you're using the longer bars, on account of there being fewer cutters in contact with the wood at any given time.

You WILL find that this saw is a more powerful and faster saw than the 290. It has more power, revs higher (higher chain speed), and most importantly, it is lighter.

So, what are you going to do with the 290? Keep it as a back-up saw, sell it?

The guy I am getting the 361 from told me he would give me a trade in on it. He is giving 175.00 trade in value on it. I could probably get more than that out of it on ebay, I just dont know if I want to mess with it or not. The saw is only a couple of years old, but the bar is getting a little bit of wear on it. I've also got an 034 and a little ms200 T, so I will probably get rid of the 290. By the way I absolutely love that little 200 lol, that is the handiest little saw I have ever had.

deezulsmoke said:
I really liked that 026 just because of the light weight of the saw. I just didn't think I would see much of a difference in that and the 290 besides the weight. That 361 is still about a half pound lighter than my 290.
Actually, the differense is larger - over a pound - as Stihl is a bit optimistic regarding the weight of the 290 series.

Otherwise they have been pretty accurate regarding the weights of their saws, unlike some other makers..:biggrinbounce2:

You've made a VERY wise choice, IMHO... Just wait till FHCW logs in and he'll tell you how a 290 and 361 compare...

I had a buddy ask why I got the 361 instead of something smaller...I said "Smaller? It was simply because I just couldn't justify a 440..."

BTW, the longer you look at saws, the smaller they appear...:hmm3grin2orange:

Chaser

computeruser said:
On your 361 you will want to start running skip chain on bars larger than 20". You will find that this helps keep the RPM up in the powerband when you're using the longer bars, on account of there being fewer cutters in contact with the wood at any given time.

Good point. Less cutters to file also.

FWIW, I picked up an 8t rim to run w/ my 24" bar and skip to keep the speed up. It's part way between 7t w/ full comp and 7t w/ skip. It's for those of us who run out of real things to fill our time with...:cheers:

Chaser

Can anyone give me a good reason to go with a MS441 for cutting firewood instead of the 361 now ??? :hmm3grin2orange: I should have never came to this site LOL. Now I am wanting bigger saws

Bigger isn't always better... (did I actually type that??? I need to get my head checked! LOL:laugh: )

If you have a need for a 70cc saw for big wood then the 441 will be for you. If you are an occasional firewood cutter, and only get into some bigger stuff once in awhile, but want a pro quality saw... then the 361 is for you.

Gary

GASoline71 said:
Bigger isn't always better... (did I actually type that??? I need to get my head checked! LOL:laugh: )

If you have a need for a 70cc saw for big wood then the 441 will be for you. If you are an occasional firewood cutter, and only get into some bigger stuff once in awhile, but want a pro quality saw... then the 361 is for you.

Gary

Exactly. It's all about having the right tool for the job, the tool that most efficiently accomplishes the task it is asked to accomplish. Why carry around more weight than you need to to get the job done?

Back