I need a consulting Arborist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berrymj

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a pecan and a maple tree damaged by a very poor tree trimmer. I would like to hire a consulting arborist to evaluate my trees and help me get the on the right track to survival. Can any body recomemend one in the Birmingham Alabama area?

[email protected]
Mike Berry

Search Help

I tried the link you sent and the results were discouraging. The closest returned result was 147 miles away. Is there anyother option?

TreeCo said:
What was done to your trees?

Was it someone you hired or was it Clearance trimming?

Oh c'mon dont bring Clearance into it, i'm sure it wasn't him:biggrinbounce2:

Trev
Sorry, couldn't resist that one, carry on.

This is the story

I have two trees on my property, a pecan that is very large and grows the most delicious nuts, and a maple that has been beautiful in my front yard. Our neighborhood was visited by a tornado three weeks ago and I wanted to get the trees trimmed up for protection to my home. I hired the trimmer that was working the neighborhood. This trimmer arrived to work while I was away on buisiness. He trimmed all the branches from one side of the pecan all the way to the trunk and never took into account that I wanted the limbs from the side of the tree that were overhanging my house trimmed back and the rest of the tree trimmed symetrically, which should have left about two-thirds of the branches on all sides. I also asked that part of a branch that was in the maple, dying, get trimmed back and to shape up the tree in general. He went to the base of this branch, about 16" in diameter, and without making a bottom cut first, cut this branch. At half way through, it broke ripping the bark over three feet down the trunk. It looks awful and I am worried that it can't be saved. What can I do without letting these two trees die?

Mike Berry
[email protected]

So now what

I think I need the advice of an arborist on how to help the trees and how to recover my losses from the unprofessional tree trimmer who hurt my trees. I am ready except for an expert written opinion of a consulting arborist to go to court against this guy. I tried to hire an arborist from Northport Alabama. He came to the house, gave me his verbal opinion, promised me a written report including value of the trees before and after the trimmer, but failed to follow through. I have called him many times but he won't return my calls. This was the man that was recommended by several sources as the best in the state. I guess I am looking for the second best now.

Perhaps the arborist who's been there will still come through... i am just a homeowner, and i have observed tree-folks are not confined to 9-5pm-job-mentality... plus, if a tornado came through recently, he's probably working constantly as you weren't the only one with damaged trees...

as to going to court, if you didn't have a written agreement with the 'tree trimmer,' i ponder how much of a settlement you can get from someone you hired without seeking his credentials/skill level... after reading this forum for 10 months, i have discovered how naive i am... when i first got here, i thought tree-trimmer=arborist, and i have been taken to task more then once by this crowd... :biggrinbounce2: and rightfully so, now that i have the vague beginning of an education as to what to seek in someone to work on my trees...

good luck on your trees...

Back