I Was told to use Copper sulfate to STOP large roots from advancing around Foundation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RTAW

Reaction score
I have a maple VERY close to the house, This tree WAS hanging OVER my home, and I managed to have it trimmed all the way back. The other half is hanging the other way. I felt good for a while. Then people began telling me the root structure of these trees is VERY aggressive and could cause damage to the foundation.
SOME roots are above the ground, humped up in 3 places in between the house and the tree by about a 8 foot span)
I was told to drill into them, and put copper sulfate in the holes and in doing so would kill those specific roots, and enable the tree to survive ( I must confess i like the shade and privacy it offers )
I honestly don't know what to do to stop worrying about these roots and years down the road.
I could get the whole tree removed in a year when I am ready, and if so, I guess the roots will just stop growing. If the copper sulfate trick is not an intelligent option, I may have to consider having the tree taken down entirely, but i wanted to ask people FAR more knowledgeable than i am before making any commitments.
Here is a photo of the edge of the house and the tree.
I appreciate your time and thank you.

Attachments

• 20230721_075540.jpg
    20230721_075540.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 0
Had a large one (Maple) behind my shop and had one of my customers cut it down and ten ground the stump and roots out (big job but I own a large stump grinder),, trouble with maples is, the roots really spread out and above ground too. I do pretty good, just grinding out stumps for my arborist customers who seem to never own a grinder which is good for me.

Had a large one (Maple) behind my shop and had one of my customers cut it down and ten ground the stump and roots out (big job but I own a large stump grinder),, trouble with maples is, the roots really spread out and above ground too. I do pretty good, just grinding out stumps for my arborist customers who seem to never own a grinder which is good for me.
thanks, the ones bulging out of the lawn are 4 inches and more in diameter, I guess I'll drill them and fill them with the crystals and add water.

Latest posts

Back