Idea for increasing owb efficency

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motoman3b

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Not sure if any OWB's have this but I was thinking about adding a electronic controlled (by the aquastat) baffle to block off the chimney when heat is not needed. Would this work or do you think it would just smolder out the fire or create too much cresote? Not quite sure how i'd make it either, I was thinking about making a spring loaded baffle and have a 110 v linear actuator to open it when the blower comes on. Just some ideas...

My stove (Woodmaster) has an aquastat and computer/relay to control the blower at the door. The blower evidently restricts the amount of air entering the firebox when it is not running and the fire just smolders - when the blower is on the fire runs as fast as the air supply provided by the blower will permit. My furnace is set to turn the fan on when the temperature drops below 160 degrees and shuts the fan off when the temperature reaches 170degrees. When the weather is warm and a large amount of time builds up between the blower running a large amount of creosote builds up - and it then burns off pretty quickly once the blower restores the fire. I think it is probably better to control the air at the inlet rather than the smoke at the chimney draft - as closing the exhaust while the furnace is burning will make a lot of pressure inside the furnace and the smoke will be leaking out of any seams in the door or latch or air supply. My furnace does not rely on the draft from the short chimney to provide the air flow in the furnace - it uses the forced draft provided by the fan.

Back