I'm fairly new to this, looking to mod a 385XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapplermi

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all, I just bought a 385XP and would like to do some simple upgrading to it. I grew up cutting wood for my old man, and only recently got into cutting to heat my own house. He had some old echos, nothing real fancy. Anyone know exactly what I could do to it, and where to get the parts? Thanks, Matt

Welcome. You don't need any parts to make your saw go fast - especially for firewood cutting. Racing is a whole different story.

The guy with the most 385 experience is Gypo Logger - his name is John. He has four 385's - modified and quite fast. He can tell you what works best on the 385's. A big part of making a fast saw is a sharp chain!

There is plenty of info on Arboristsite about woods porting saws.

You will need to understand the basic function of how a 2 stroke works. You will need to understand how to degree your saw. You will need a few measuring tools - calipers & depth gauge.

So, go search and read and report back with any detailed questions you may have.

Josh

I'm not sure why mod a 385..It's a strong runner right out of the box..I did a little muffler mod to my two,I'm not sure I would do anything else in fear that I would be sacrificing reliability.

50 thou(i think is the right number)off the intake piston skirt will make it fast and not sacrifce reliability.

If you can find a black coil out of a 372,371,272,395,385,they are non rev limiting it will help.Take a look at walkers saw shop web site you can order a muffler from them of make one like it your self.That should help make it a bit faster also take the 7 pin sprocket off and put a 8 pin on thats what i have on both of mine.But if you really want it to rip talk to gypo logger and get him to mod it he has built both of mine and there is no comparison for stock they will eat a stock one any day.As for reliability i use mine everyday of the week cutting 50-80 tree's aday and have had no trouble at all.good luck

Back