Information on wood structural strength by species and dimensions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stonesforbrains

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to post the thread but, meh. I have been chainsaw milling red oak so I can build a poultry coop/brooder. I am curious if there is a site that will give me information about load bearing per wood species and dimensions of? I have a few links to sites that give information about weight, rot resistance, and such but nothing that is easily usable for what I’m searching about. Sometimes I’m not very savvy ciphering internet info so maybe I’m already looking at what I need but just don’t know it. I’m not a structural engineer. I’m am using true 1”x3” oak for wall frame out on 2 foot centers and 1”x4” for floor frame on two foot centers. I just want to know if structurally this would suffice for holding up a roof if I built my structure 12’x10’ with a slant roof and not a pitch? Any help directing me to the right info would be appreciated. Wood I’ve milled is 12” in width tops. Pretty clean from knots and such so far. CE1861C9-9FF4-4B4E-8655-F1F9D7369B8B.jpeg

Latest posts

Back