Interesting thing with my MS270

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aljewett

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice saw, but I could never get it to idle well. I picked it up at an auction a few years ago. Did all the normal stuff when I first got it; carb rebuild, fresh gas, good spark....check. Idling was an issue, as well as acceleration, so I put it away for awhile.
I got it out last week to cut a neighbour's tree down, and it just kept bogging down. It's gotta be a carb issue. Retanked it, checked all the soft things, all seemed good. Maybe the jets need adjustment. I pulled the limiter caps and while setting it up for a standard setting, I noticed that BOTH jets were bent. WTH?? (Nice thing about Stihl, you can get almost any part) So, new jets installed, standard setting, BOOM. Fixed.
My question; do I need to install new limiter caps? I'm thinking just leave them off.
AJ

I'd leave them off. What advantage do you feel might be realized by installing new ones? I've seen some that make it easier to get a screwdriver properly slotted on a vibrating machine.

Agreed. But, I read somewhere that because there are no springs on them they couldn’t vibrate in/out.

The 270 is running great. New low/hi screws fixed it. However, the weirdest thing happens; it can sit idling for 2, 5, 10 minutes, and the moment I pick it up it quits. Strange behavior. Has anyone heard/seen this before?

Latest posts

Back