Inver Grove Heights debates banning OWBs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biker Dude

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
It looks like another Twin Cities suburb is looking at banning outdoor wood boilers due to complaints from locals. According to the article there are 4 OWBs in operation in the 29 sq. mile area but the population density is 1039 per sq. mile. In my neighborhood there are 4 OWBs, 4 indoor stoves and 3 fireplaces within a 2 sq. mile radius but only 35 people in that area. I couldn't imagine having 2078 people in my neighborhood. It would totally suck!

Here's the article from the Star & Sickle:
Wood burners heating up debate in Inver Grove Heights

Can't see this one ending well. IGH is way more populated than the recent Stillwater ban and also very much down in the river bottoms

It's been a long time since IGH/So St Paul was an industrial/meatpacking "blue collar" area.

The southern parts of IGH are still rural, but nothing like they used to be. The northern part has basic suburb houses on 1/4 ac lots and apartments. I suspect they are thinking ahead a bit, but not all that far. As development continues outward, there will be no way IGH could allow OWBs as it will be too much of a suburb and not rural enough.

Neither this one or Stillwater surprises me. I can't imagine people setting up an OWB in these areas, frankly. Now if you want a justified reason to get worked up, wait if/until they try banning them in truly rural areas.

My 2 cents.

As an OWB owner, I say there are some places that they just don't belong. Although, a blanket ban is certainly not the answer. Regulation should be on a case by case basis.

Limited government......

I'm with you.There are already nuisance laws on the books to deal with miscreants that foul the air and water.We wood stove burners should not feel safe, as the apparatchiks seldom are content with a narrowly defined law.It may be much easier to ban all wood burning and bow to the Greens than it is to craft reasonable policy.

Latest posts

Back