Irishman steals nearly $30K worth of trees, gets DL suspended for 10 years

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was just in Carrick on Suir in County Tipperary, too.

Man jailed for stealing ancient ash trees - RT News

At his sentencing hearing today, Judge Raymond Groarke said Keane was a 'marauding thief' who had a 'barefaced cheek' to think he could get away with driving around the county cutting down trees.

He sentenced Keane to two years in prison on both charges to run concurrently and he suspended the final year of the sentence on condition Keane keep the peace for three years.

He also disqualified him from driving for ten years. However, he put a stay on the order until 1 September to allow Keane to be present at the birth of his third child next month.

Poor devil, got jailed for few logs! Well, if it is about game of hurley, I know that's a major subject in Ireland...

Maybe he should join the Irish Travelers after he gets released, they do camping in Finland every summer. Here he can find plenty of ash trees to fall and nobody will really mind.

Stealing Ash tree's for Hurley's has been going on for some time now. They look for trees with a good flare at the butt. We have one Hurley maker in about every three weeks to dry blanks in the kiln about 300 at a time, he is having to buy in Ash from England.

Stealing Ash tree's for Hurley's has been going on for some time now. They look for trees with a good flare at the butt. We have one Hurley maker in about every three weeks to dry blanks in the kiln about 300 at a time, he is having to buy in Ash from England.

I didn't understand a word of this post.

The only thing I know about the Irish countryside I learned from watching Zardoz.

I didn't understand a word of this post.

The only thing I know about the Irish countryside I learned from watching Zardoz.

Hurling_Ball_and_Hurley.JPG

Hurley (stick) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Poor devil, got jailed for few logs! Well, if it is about game of hurley, I know that's a major subject in Ireland...

Maybe he should join the Irish Travelers after he gets released, they do camping in Finland every summer. Here he can find plenty of ash trees to fall and nobody will really mind.

My guess would be the cost of bringing that ash back to Ireland would severely cut in to his profit margins, especially now since he has to hire someone to do the driving from his jail cell. Don't forget he didn't cull a lot of that Ash from public forest land - he took it off privately owned land without permission.

My guess would be the cost of bringing that ash back to Ireland would severely cut in to his profit margins, especially now since he has to hire someone to do the driving from his jail cell. Don't forget he didn't cull a lot of that Ash from public forest land - he took it off privately owned land without permission.

Send your Hurley makers here, then. It's cheaper to move sticks than logs, isn't it? Irishmen usually like it here. This is one of the few places of the world they can feel their drinking manners are actually relatively cultivated.

I got ash coming out my ears. Butt flare? I got that too. What's it worth?
I could send a shipment to Ireland easy enough if the price was right.

I got ash coming out my ears. Butt flare? I got that too. What's it worth?
I could send a shipment to Ireland easy enough if the price was right.

It's easier to get it from Samlock. Most of the Hurley ash here comes from Europe now. And, honestly, I don't mind. I have a bit of a fraxinus allergy anyways.

It's easier to get it from Samlock. Most of the Hurley ash here comes from Europe now. And, honestly, I don't mind. I have a bit of a fraxinus allergy anyways.

Good to know, I mean that I shouldn't serve you strong wine made of rowans (very popular among the winos up here) if you happened to stop by.

Back