Is it oiling the chain enough?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLOBOTREE

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
When my 55 Rancher runs out of fuel there is still a lot of chain oil in the reservoir, still about 1/4 full.
Sometimes I can detect no oil on the chain guides after cuttin. I sure would like to see an oil film.
The oil is flowin good form the saw and I make sure to clean the holes in the bar. This saw is not adjustable on oil flow but I wish the oil and fuel ran out at the same time.

I think your saw is doing fine. Trying to get the fuel and oil to run out at the same time could be twicky business.

tawilson said:
I think your saw is doing fine. Trying to get the fuel and oil to run out at the same time could be twicky business.

I totally agree.. Better to run out of gas before oil than the other way around. If your chains isn't burning or binding, there is no problem.

Sounds like the saw is doing fine. Some instructions tell us to hold the saw with the end of the bar toward a block of wood, wall, etc and see if it is spitting oil off the end of the bar. Actually a well oiling and tight machine will drag the chain luge around the bar back to the sprocket and drip off under the sprocket.
I have run bars that were like an old Harley I had back in the fiftys. Throwed more oil than it burned petro. Things have tightened up since then.

Your saw is working just like it was designed to. Without an adjustable oiler it is designed to run out of fuel first. If it was the other way around then you would have problems.

This 'lil MS290 uses less bar oil than that, yet has never smoked the bar, heated up the bar/chain or discolored itself- regardless how bad I bog it down, sink the bar or labor the thing. My older saws could spew more lube than necessary and spray a target too, and I was concerned with the 'weak oiling' of the MS290. Previous posts here confirm that the MS290 empties about a half tank of bar lube per tank of gas (that's with the adjustable set to max). It's adequate except that for lower temperatures, the winter-mix (below 32 degrees) bar oil is necessary unless the summer lube is thinned (kerosene for instance) in cold weather.

Back