Is PEX rated for anti-freeze?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireman31

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Is anybody using anti freeze in their OWB system or possibly a closed loop for radiant heat?

I have a solar project in mind and was wondering if the two are compatible because copper pipe has sure gotten expensive!!!
I plan to use the environmentally friendly type of anti freeze. Any thoughts on it?

I really don't know. Have never had the request from a customer to pipe RV antifreeze to the kitchen faucet, yet.;)

I can find out Tuesday, though. I don't have a data sheet for Pex but would guess it's probably is not an issue. I'll plan to let you know what I find out later in the week, if you don't hear from some else first.

Yes

I am using 1 inch barrier pex from my boiler storage tank to my house and it is a glycol loop. and My solar panels are plumbed copper all the way into the storage tank, then I split it out to 500 feet of non barrier pex for a heat exchanger.. I would advise not to use pex directly to the solar panels due to overheating issues and burst.

I would advise not to use pex directly to the solar panels due to overheating issues and burst.

I hadn't planned on conneting it directly to the solar panel. I planned on at leas a 10 or so ft copper leader then pex.

did I mention that copper had gotten REALLY expensive??

I have Pex as the transfer lines from the OWB to the various heat exchangers (4) with temps running at 190. It's rated at 230 degrees. I had a over fire once when the door was left opened and the water was boiling out of the top of the furnace. The Pex held just fine. It is also rated for antifreeze. Great stuff. You'll have good luck with it! Ask for the high temp oxygen barrier material and don't skimp with the insulation.

Trust me

I hadn't planned on conneting it directly to the solar panel. I planned on at leas a 10 or so ft copper leader then pex.

did I mention that copper had gotten REALLY expensive??

I know how expensive it is and was.. I built mine last summer.. 40 bucks a stick for 1 inch type L. But Menards ahd a big whatever would fit in the bag sale.. like 17% off.. so I saved big bunches on my various fittings.. But unfortunately they did not have any ten foot tall sale sacks.
http://www.pbase.com/ericjeeper/solar&page=all

Latest posts

Back