Is there ever a bad time to prune a Eucalpytus in the UK?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

MattG

Hi Folks,

We have a mature Eucalyptus tree - I'm fairly sure it is a "gunnii" as it has roundy-oval greeny-grey leaves, sometimes drops a little peely bark from the thicker part of the boughs, has smooth light grey bark on younger branches and occasional small white flowers. In March 2014 the tree was about 50 feet high and I reduced it's height to about 30 feet at that time of year by just lopping the branches and making sure I left some young leaves and twigs on the tree. The tree survived my labours - and is now shooting back up. It must have about 8 feet of epicormic growth atop the pollards (there's about 6 of these) that I left, and plenty of nice lower side growth.

I'm obviously concerned to keep the tree in check - but not kill it - since for an amateur the original reduction I gave the tree was not a particularly easy job. I'm now thinking of reducing the height by about another 5 feet - but of course leave plenty of side greenery on the tree.

Would now be a bad time to prune/attack the tree again? I'm just kind of anxious to start on this work as the tree is growing at a frightening rate and because we live in the Fens in the UK - which is very flat and often windy and for the next months it is very difficult to predict when a nice calm weekend will next come along - in other words - I'd like to make a start whenever I can!

Personally I'm think the tree is pretty robust and will tolerate the reduction - since it recovered fine from the last far more drastic cut. However I'd really appreciate some sound advice on the subject - so can I start this job whenever - or should I be patient and wait till next spring or summer?

all advice and tips appreciated,
Matt

Pruning is done by growing season based on your intended result. If you want lots of new growth, prune in spring when the tree is actively sending out new shoots. If you want to stabilize the tree at a new shape, prune in winter or fall as the tree is going into dormancy. It will harden of over winter and just resume growing almost as if you had not pruned it.
I would check gardening sites for more detail about how to prune for specific outcomes.

Thanks guys,

I'll get my wife to post some piccies up. Just to elaborate - my motivation for the cut - to height reduce so that it is more manageable for a reasonably brave amateur, like myself.

Matt

People,

My wife has taken some piccies:

[photo="medium"]3222[/photo] [photo="medium"]3229[/photo] [photo="medium"]3230[/photo] [photo="medium"]3225[/photo] The ferocious looking creatures amidst the tree is one of our pet cats :)

[photo="medium"]3223[/photo] [photo="medium"]3224[/photo] [photo="medium"]3226[/photo] [photo="medium"]3227[/photo] I'm starting to wonder whether the tree is niphophila not gunnii - but I'm no expert in these matters.

[photo="medium"]3228[/photo]

To give an idea of perspective the conifers in background are about 7 feet high. Any advice on it's species and how soon I can lop off another 4 to 5 feet would be appreciated.

thanks
Matt

Back