Is waterspout wood good for smoking?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunshinebird10

Reaction score
Hello All ~

I have adopted 2 trees in a local apple orchard that has been converted to a city park. This park has over 7 acres of apple trees that gets pruned all at once and there are huge piles of prunings that are just going to the landfill. I hate to see such waste and thought maybe I could use this wood for smoking? Most of the prunings are just thin tips and such, but there are some waterspouts that are 3-4" across and 10+ feet long. I don't know if this wood would work for smoking as it is such green wood and not heart wood. I would love some thoughts/advice on what all can be done with stuff as I HATE to see it just go into a landfill. Also - some of the branches have anthracnose and I am concerned that they would be unsafe to smoke with.

Thank you so much for your help!

Curran Apple Orchard Park University Place Wa

Sure - I prefer apple for bacon over hickory but any hardwood will smoke meat. Just a matter of taste. I would cut it into pucks and let it get dry before using it. Some like to smoke with green wood but it is not my thing.

When I smoke fish I use green Alder and Apple but make sure you take the bark off or you'll get a biter taste to the meat

I have several calls a year from people looking for apple wood to smoke with. If I were you I would season it, put it through a chipper, bag it , then sell it.

Back