IT LIVES - Mall model 12a relic survives!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

16:1mix

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Update I - IT'S ALIVE! - Mall model 12a relic survives!

Here you go everyone, my entry into the chainsaw world! This is the Mall 12a that I picked up at an auction several years ago and set aside. Last week I decided that it needed some attention so I set out to hear it run. After giving the ignition points a good shine and disolving the grah-doo out of the fuel tank and carburator I was ready to try. With a fresh batch of fuel mix and four tugs of the starter it came to life again. That sure is a knarley sounding 2-stroke engine!

After satisfiying my desire to hear it run it went back in the shop for a little more TLC, starting with the bar. It has seen some poor storage condtions because the chain is rusted to the bar. The next step will be to get it loosend up, I'll probably just pull the bar and soak the whole thing.

In the interim, I would like any tips for infomation about this saw model (12a) and links to other Mall collector sites, etc. I will keep an eye on Ebay for literature reprints, etcetera as well.

C-Ya
:)
dave (16:1mix)

1mall12a.jpg

2mall12a.jpg

Last edited:
Update: IT'S ALIVE! - Mall model 12a relic survives

July 3rd, 2005

Today is the day. I was able to get the chain and the bar in operable condition and repaired the trigger to throttle spring. After a little more float adjustment the carb acts like it will work, it wanted to run over. Fired it up and let the chain run and wear the balance of the rust away using heavy lubrication.....that is, I ran the chain in a bucket of oil for awhile to clean out all the links, it was rusted solid when I got it!

I made a little cut on a cotton wood branch just 'because', but the chain is awful dull in addition to being rusted!

Next up is to look for some literature and see what I can learn about the bar oiling system....if there is one. If I can get a decent edge I may cut a little wood if I can resolve an air filter for it.

Any other Malls out there?

dave

Sweet saw. I'd like to have a model 7 2 man, as soon as Madsaw gets back to me on a price I will know what its gonna cost me.

16:1mix said:
July 3rd, 2005

Next up is to look for some literature and see what I can learn about the bar oiling system....if there is one. If I can get a decent edge I may cut a little wood if I can resolve an air filter for it.

Any other Malls out there?

dave

There should be a manual oil button to the left of the throttle reachable by thumb while running. Shouldn't be an automatic oiler at all.

Harry K

Well,get hold of Larry[Chainsaw 57],I think he has cornered the market on Mall's,or at least in Ohio.Now then,on that big old model 7,I spent part of one miserable winter on the helper handle of one of those ear splitting monsters,as a teenager.They have a chain that looks like it belongs on a trencher,or something,and pull a chip like a beaver on steroids,big ones.You talk about kick back,it's like rope starting a Harley. :) The average price at an auction,used to be around $50.These old machines were used around here long after they were obsolete and there are still a few in working order.My brother in law has a 4 mg.

One funny thing about these saws is when you set them on a hard surface while running, they will spin around due to the rotation of the crankshaft. A couple years ago someone posted a short video clip of a 12 on ice. It spun quite well on that hard slippery surface. You can feel the engine torque sideways when you rev it also. My 12 has auto oiler. It didn't work at first, but after running it for a half hour or so, it started working on it's own, pumps quite a lot.

Scott

Thanks Scott!

Good to hear from another Mall owner.

I found the air filter and cleaned it out then did a little cutting with the 12a on Monday for the fun of it. I do believe it would turn circles on it's own, that thing is a beast with the high RPM vibration and the torque effect you mention! I Love it, but I sure would hate to have to make a living using it! :)

I thought I saw some oil running from the center of the drive sprocket when I was finished cutting. - this made me wonder if that was how it oiled the bar as mine does not have a manual oiler button.

I sure would like to find some literature (owner/op) manual for it. I've been keeping an occasional look out on ebay for same.

C-ya!

dave

Latest posts

Back