It Was A Pretty Nice Day Here Today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawyer Rob

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
It was pretty nice day out today, getting close to 40F out... I was happy to "finally" get back into the woods...

standard.jpg

Once in the woods, i picked a couple tree's that would give me 16' logs, as i need to saw out a bunch of 3"x8"- 16 foot "rafters" for a customer...

standard.jpg

These are pretty nice tree's and i sawed out "two" 16' logs out of each tree...

standard.jpg

Once i had the logs sawn out, i went back to the barn for the tractor... Here's how i hook up the logs for skidding them...

standard.jpg

With the logs skidded out to a big enough area that i can load them, i loaded them onto a 5 ton wagon "running gear", and headed out of the woods... The logs on this load are pretty nice!

standard.jpg

Out of the woodlot and onto the road i go, off to the mill site.

standard.jpg

I'll be milling these logs soon, and then back to the woodlot for another load!

Hope you liked the pict...

Rob

Last edited:
nice pics, I've been so busy that I haven't had my woods fix. I'm ready. That quad and tractor look sweet. If I had those, I would have been out today. Instead I moved birch from the sticked pile outside, to the basement to be force dried. Then I cleaned up saws and prepped up one of my Pioneer P40's for a paint job. Tomorrow after I work on furniture a bit, I'll spray up the saw. I gotta get in the woods with a saw or 2. Goin nuts. Thanks again for the pics.

Thanks for those pics... I enjoyed that. Wishing I had room for a tractor and some other larger toys. You got a mini logging operation going there. Interesting.

Nice Pics...

I envy you the tractor!!!

It has been too cold for me to go out to the woodlot and do any work. I am getting wimpy in my old age. ;)

For us we have had a december that has averaged -10°c colder than we usually do.

Usually we get cold, snow ,rain warm, cold, snow, rain, warm cycle. Not this year so far!!!

Rob is that a cherry log you're loading on that carriage there in that pic?

Yes it is... It was 20' 6" long...

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

And it made a pile of lumber!!

standard.jpg

That was of EXCELENT quality!!

standard.jpg

It was the finest cherry log i've ever harvested or sawn...

Thanks again,

Rob

Wow... just beautiful cherry. Quick and dirty estimate, it looks like over 500 ft of premium cherry lumber there in that pic. You're looking at over $2k once it's dried and S4S, ready for furniture. More in some parts of the country.

Wow... just beautiful cherry. Quick and dirty estimate, it looks like over 500 ft of premium cherry lumber there in that pic. You're looking at over $2k once it's dried and S4S, ready for furniture. More in some parts of the country.

Like i've said before... A bandmill saws so much faster and you get so much more out of a log compared to any CSM, that you can sell some of the lumber from time to time to easily pay the little extra a starter band mill cost...

Now, with all the extra speed and extra lumber you will get out of a log, in the long run, a band mill comes out cheaper... And we haven't even talked about resale yet!

And "yes" i know, bandmills aren't for everyone...

Rob

Like i've said before... A bandmill saws so much faster and you get so much more out of a log compared to any CSM, that you can sell some of the lumber from time to time to easily pay the little extra a starter band mill cost...

Now, with all the extra speed and extra lumber you will get out of a log, in the long run, a band mill comes out cheaper... And we haven't even talked about resale yet!

And "yes" i know, bandmills aren't for everyone...

Rob

I've never personally used a bandmill, but have witnessed them in action. Yes they are faster. The one that I have watched time and time again however doesn't save lumber. As a matter of fact it wastes more than my csm. The waves that this guy needs to plane out of his lumber is a lot more waste than the saw kerf on my csm. Pine is the example I mostly see. Everytime this guy gets near a knot, the bandsaw blade goes wacko, dips, raises, just simply doesn't cut flat. My csm slows a bit in knots, but plows straight thru them. Maybe its just this guys setup, not sure. I have to say I'm not impressed with his. Fast, ohh yeah, its fast, but save lumber. Nope, not his anyway.

Just an observation, don't mill the messenger:dizzy:

I've never personally used a bandmill, but have witnessed them in action. Yes they are faster. The one that I have watched time and time again however doesn't save lumber. As a matter of fact it wastes more than my csm. The waves that this guy needs to plane out of his lumber is a lot more waste than the saw kerf on my csm. Pine is the example I mostly see. Everytime this guy gets near a knot, the bandsaw blade goes wacko, dips, raises, just simply doesn't cut flat. My csm slows a bit in knots, but plows straight thru them. Maybe its just this guys setup, not sure. I have to say I'm not impressed with his. Fast, ohh yeah, its fast, but save lumber. Nope, not his anyway.

Just an observation, don't mill the messenger:dizzy:

I'm glad to see you are sharp enough to figure out it was "operator error" and not how a properly tuned and run bandmill saws, yes even in pine... I've also seen some pretty sloppy CSMing too, but as above, it's "operator error"...

How does this "knotty" pine look to you, knotty enough??

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

I can turn out flat lumber like this all day long with my bandmill...

standard.jpg

and so can anyone else who cares about what's coming off their mill...

Rob

Latest posts

Back