Jonsered 2152, Stihl 260, Husky 353, or PS5200?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodie

"Cap'n Bullcrap'n"
Reaction score
New member here, did a lot of lurking first. Lot of knowledge here, and us newbies appreciate the way you pros dole it out pretty freely.

Time to replace my starter saw. (Sears...I don't want to talk about it...)

This is a little bit more than just a firewood saw...it's a camping saw. What I mean by that is that it's pretty much going to be used for bucking/limbing only, but when I go out in the woods, it's gonna be there for up to a week at a time. Cleaning the air filter is gonna be done in a 40-degree stream, and I'm not above banging it against a rock like my ancestors cleaned laundry. I bring a minimum of three chains, all new-sharped. I'm not looking for a hotsaw, and it'll never see more than an 18" bar. What I need is dead-nuts reliability, all day long, every day. Mostly winter camping, Upper Peninusula of Michigan. In that week we'll go through 3/4 of a cord easy. (If we're drinking, a cord and a half isn't uncommon.) (No, I don't get anywhere near my saw until the hangover is gone.)

Where I live, SE Michigan, there is one Dolmar dealer, two Jonsereds, a dozen Stihls, and three or four dozen Huskys, so dealer support is not an issue.

I've narrowed it down to the smallest "pro" saw of each of the manufacturers. Price isn't an issue...I'll pay for quality any day (I said "don't ask" about the Sears...) and they're all roughly equivalent in price. (Yes, the MS260 Pro is $100 more, but the dealer will throw in a case and a chain, so the $50 is not really an issue. )

Bottom line, what say you pros? I'm leaning toward the Jred 2152 because I like the dealer and because I like the (advertised!) lag-time between filter cleanings, but I hear a ton of good stuff on the Stihl 260.

Thanks in advance!!

I own a husky 351, which is the older version of the 353. It is also idenical to the Jred 2152. I also have a Dolmar 5100S. There is absolutely no comparison to the 5100 and the 353.

I recommend the 5100S in everyway over the 353 or the 2152. Much better saw, with more power. I am not sure about the ps5200, but I believe that to be of the older generation to be like the 520, if it is, then that design has been around since 1986 or so.

Go with the 5100, 18" bar an 3/8 chain. You won't be disappointed.

-Steve

I am no pro, but I can speak from experience, get a Dolmar PS-5100s. There are tons of posts on here about it. Steve (aka Freakingstang) loves his. I just got 2 tanks through mine and it is a dream. Revs fast, cuts quick and is ULTRA SMOOTH. The thing makes mad power for a 51cc 11.2 lb saw! Unbelieveable machine for the price. Check out http://www.dolmarsaws.com Ask for Tony, he is a good guy and will take care of you. Or, if your local dealer will work with you, buy from him...he should be able to do 10% off MSRP of $415, so that will at least get you close...but then you have to pay taxes. Anyhow, you make the decision, but I think you will find that you can't get the power-to-weight punch that the 5100S packs for the money it costs in ANY other saw line...not even close!

:ices_rofl: Steve, you beat me to it!~ Wouldn't trade mine for the world! That thing RIPS and throws some chips!

Freakingstang said:
I am not sure about the ps5200, but I believe that to be of the older generation to be like the 520, if it is, then that design has been around since 1986 or so.

-Steve

Sorry about the typo...it is indeed the PS5100 that is available. The local dealer has only had the line about a year or so, and as a result doesn't have much to say about reliability. He did mention that parts get here pretty quickly though...which is a good sign. Pretty reliable for you I take it?

BTW, I work for Ford...nice 'Stang!

wood_newbie said:
I'm leaning toward the Jred 2152 because I like the dealer and because I like the (advertised!) lag-time between filter cleanings, but I hear a ton of good stuff on the Stihl 260.

If you are comfortable with the saw AND the dealer, that's a heck of a combination and may make the decision for you.

At the end of the day, though, any of the saws you've pointed out will get the job done quite well. If I hadn't been able to score an 026Pro for $200, I would be running a 5100s, it is a heck of a saw and is definitely more saw than the 026.

I always vote for my brand but will never Knock a dolmar or stihl either. Try to demo what you like and get a feel for each saw and then try to feel out the dealer. Will he be reliable and honest. A good dealer can make a world of difference in the relationship of you and your saw

There is a hardly used 260 for sale on Ebay by a member here, let me see if I can dig up a link.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/STIHL-260-260-PRO-026-026-PRO-NEARLY-NEW-NR_W0QQitemZ110018738491QQihZ001QQcategoryZ79669QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That being said, I had a chance to run the Dolmar 5100, and that is one nice saw. Its the asthetics I cant get past!!! I think the Dolmars can give the Stihls a run for their money in their same size saws. A members 7900 beat my 460 by almost a full second in 8x8 poplar. Granted, its more saw, but not much more. 3cc bigger, and also .3 more horse....That says allot.

wood_newbie said:
Bottom line, what say you pros? I'm leaning toward the Jred 2152 because I like the dealer and because I like the (advertised!) lag-time between filter cleanings, but I hear a ton of good stuff on the Stihl 260.

Thanks in advance!!

Looks Like you answered your own question.
You say you like the Jonny Red Dealer Then go with Jonsered.
Dolmars are up and coming.

wood_newbie said:
Sorry about the typo...it is indeed the PS5100 that is available. The local dealer has only had the line about a year or so, and as a result doesn't have much to say about reliability. He did mention that parts get here pretty quickly though...which is a good sign. Pretty reliable for you I take it?

BTW, I work for Ford...nice 'Stang!

Which Stang? lol. I do have a couple. MY 57K mile 86 GT vert is my favorite, although my 66 coupe isn't too shabby either.

I've only had mine for 7-8 months or so. I have only put approximately 30 tanks of fuel through it. Seems to be a great running saw. I haven't had a lick of problems with it.

Here is a quote I found while searching for some 5100/5000 cc displacement myths... I though the 5100S was only 49.9cc. The tag on mine saw 49.9 cc, but yet other info states 50.7cc. I wonder If I got one of the earlier smaller displacement models? Anyways, I like the saw. Just remember, the 353 and 2152 are the same motor, just in differant bodies, just like ford and mercury/lincoln. lol

brent denny said:
I just got back in from running my first tank through my new 5100s. This saw has some serious rpm's and TORQUE. Feels as light or lighter than my husky 353 and has quite a bit more power. Very smooth in the hands and I like the inboard clutch design. The master control lever is the best I have seen yet. Only one tank ran thru so far but not a speck of dust on the air filter. I bought mine from TonyM and he is top notch to deal with. He is very prompt on getting back to you anytime you have a question and always adresses any concerns you might have to the letter. As long as dolmars dealer base continues to expand and this saw proves to be trouble free, I think the 5100s will be the new saw to beat in the 50cc class.

Freakingstang said:
Just remember, the 353 and 2152 are the same motor, just in differant bodies, just like ford and mercury/lincoln. lol

You should compare the two with chevys. because of parts interchangeabilty. unlike most Fords. LOL Too.

wood_newbie said:
New member here, did a lot of lurking first. Lot of knowledge here, and us newbies appreciate the way you pros dole it out pretty freely.

Time to replace my starter saw. (Sears...I don't want to talk about it...)

This is a little bit more than just a firewood saw...it's a camping saw. What I mean by that is that it's pretty much going to be used for bucking/limbing only, but when I go out in the woods, it's gonna be there for up to a week at a time. Cleaning the air filter is gonna be done in a 40-degree stream, and I'm not above banging it against a rock like my ancestors cleaned laundry.

Thanks in advance!!

A sharp chain minimizes saw dust on the filter. You will notice your filter getting dirty sooner with a dull chain. Something I have done for years now is to take a spray can of brake cleaner or electrical cleaner to clean the filter. It disslovs any bar oil or mix oil fast and gets the saw dust out. It drys fast and you can get right back to cutting. Works great and no ill effects on the filter. Like I said I have done this for years and my filters last just as long as using soap and water.

I trust the Stihls reliability above all the saws I have put a lot of hours behind and have been around. I beleive they are the easiest to get service and parts for usually.The o26 pro I have feels better to me then the 5100 for handling and balance both with 20" bar. I think lighter also,but of course probably not as powerful.I do like the power curve of the stihl. Never been around the Jreds.
I find the factory specifications do not compare products near as accurately as using them so I suggest test driving the saws you are considering if possible to find a comfortable saw for your applications.

I too have yet to hear a bad word about the Dolmars, I just hope they don't pull the rug up again!!!! But of the choices for you're needs/wants, I can't see you going wrong with any of them! Pick 'um up, feel them, if you can demo them, see which one you like, you have the dealer down, now it's what is comfortable to you!!
Andy

Freakingstang said:
I own a Husky 351, which is the older version of the 353. It is also idenical to the Jred 2152. ...
The Jred 2149 was the counterpart of the 351.

They differed from the later 353 and 2152 by having a smaller bore, and 49.4 cc vs. 51.7cc.

wood_newbie said:

I've narrowed it down to the smallest "pro" saw of each of the manufacturers. Price isn't an issue...I'll pay for quality any day (I said "don't ask" about the Sears...) and they're all roughly equivalent in price. (Yes, the MS260 Pro is $100 more, but the dealer will throw in a case and a chain, so the $50 is not really an issue. )

but I hear a ton of good stuff on the Stihl 260.

Thanks in advance!!
Well, I'll wade into this, since I just went through the same decision process

I will vote for two, the 260 is a really nice saw.
It is powerful, reliable, overall great saw in its class.

You also should consider the Husky 346xp. A true pro saw from Husky, you will pay only about $50 more than the 353, but you will get the pro engine, and it is really fast. Just compared the 2, and am sold on the 346.

jmho.;)

The 260 and 353 are both good saws, but they aren't in the same class as the 5100. I guess it all comes down to how fast and how much wood you want to cut each time you go out.

You got that right, Pallis.

However, I believe that the 353 may be the winner, if they all are modded by the right person (Ed Heard).

Back