• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Jonsereds Bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K. Phillips

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have two lder Jonsereds chain saws that run great but I need new bars for them. Can someone tell me which brand bars would fit them and which are the most durable. Saws are 70E's with 20" bars. I have 3 new Oregon D70, .050 gauge, 3/8 pitch chains I would like to use with the replacement bars. Thanks for any info!!

Good afternoon sir, welcome to AS.
I'm not real familiar with the older saws, but here's a link a thread discussing what you need.
Looks like you can use a D009 if you file it a bit as the 70E has larger studs than the newer large mount huskys.
Hope this helps.
https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/70e-bar-question.264485/

Do the bars have numbers stamped on them? That will tell bar length, chain pitch, gauge, and number of drive links.

Do those chains you want to use fit the current bars and drive sprockets? If not, you may need to replace the sprocket for them to work. Easy enough to do if there is a sprocket that fits both your saw and those chains.

The last step is finding a bar with holes that line up correctly. Some of the sellers like Bailey's have a search tool.

I usually use Oregon's search tool as I usually use Oregon bars.
That says a 70E with 20" length, 3/8" and .050 chain uses Oregon part 200RNDD196

All of these search tools assume stock sprocket. If that was changed at some point to a different size, the number of drivelinks could be a mismatch.

I'm not real familiar with the older saws, but here's a link a thread discussing what you need.
Looks like you can use a D009 if you file it a bit as the 70E has larger studs than the newer large mount huskys.
Hope this helps.
I have a bunch of older Jonsereds and I do what Chipper1 suggests. It takes about 20-30 minutes. I've done this lots of times and never had an issue.

Hope this helps.
Sorry, but I'm not quite sure what D009 means? I bought a new 200RNDD196 Oregon bar and the mount holes are just a tad smaller than the saw studs. Is there another Oregon bar that would fit my Jonsered 70e"s. I have 4 new Oregon 3/8 p, .050 ga. D70 20" chains that I want to be able to use.

Do the bars have numbers stamped on them? That will tell bar length, chain pitch, gauge, and number of drive links.

Do those chains you want to use fit the current bars and drive sprockets? If not, you may need to replace the sprocket for them to work. Easy enough to do if there is a sprocket that fits both your saw and those chains.

The last step is finding a bar with holes that line up correctly. Some of the sellers like Bailey's have a search tool.

I usually use Oregon's search tool as I usually use Oregon bars.
That says a 70E with 20" length, 3/8" and .050 chain uses Oregon part 200RNDD196

All of these search tools assume stock sprocket. If that was changed at some point to a different size, the number of drivelinks could be a mismatch.
Great info, that is the bar that I bought so I will widen slot a bit to fit. Thanks so much for the help and links!

Sorry, but I'm not quite sure what D009 means? I bought a new 200RNDD196 Oregon bar and the mount holes are just a tad smaller than the saw studs. Is there another Oregon bar that would fit my Jonsered 70e"s. I have 4 new Oregon 3/8 p, .050 ga. D70 20" chains that I want to be able to use.
D196 I think is a universal mount with slotted adjuster holes.

Latest posts

Back