Just a idea here... need feedback!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I was given a blown up TS700 Stihl cutoff saw (concrete saw).
New piston/cylinder and it will no doubt run.

has anyone ever turned one of these into a chainsaw? Engine is up around 100cc, nice big comfortable handle. starter on right ride, and if there is a way to cobble a bar/chain/oiler system on it to make it a "hot saw" it might be fun. The carburetor setup is interesting as it is a progressive 2bbl and looks similar to a stratocharged system. Stihls website says that the rpm is governed to less than 10,000 and that might be able to be swapped out for a different ignition.

biggest drawback that I see in converting it is that it appears to be a plastic crankcase and the extension for the cutoff is cast as one piece here. not sure how to rig up the clutch to a drive sprocket, but I bet that could be done!

feedback??

further investigation reveals...

the thing is made out of cast aluminum. It *might* be possible to get a bar on it.
The carb has a adapter with a butterfly in it, and there are ports that go around to both sides of the cylinder, at the bottom... I don't know what they were thinking.

Fact is that it is either destined to be a cutoff saw, or a bunch of spare parts.

I would be better served to find a 100cc saw and work from there:msp_wub:

Yeah the TS-700 platform was never intended to make it over to the chainsaw series so no oiler/oil pump provision was ever designed for them. Looking inside the engine there seems to be a lot of room for improvement but keep in mind, the engine was designed to make peak power at a low RPM.

Back