Just about done for the season.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IdahoPanhandle

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
3.5 cord split and stacked, with another cord and a half in rounds ready to split. :chainsaw:

Dont mind the tree limb mess. Had to down another birch in the backyard due to beetles. :censored:

splitnstacked.jpg

And the saws Im using. An old 61 (modified a bit), and the 'imfamous' 455 rancher I picked up this season to replace the 61 as my primary firewood saw. So far it has an exhaust mod, and a bit of tweaking on the top end. Otherwise stock. Doing great though!

huskies.jpg

And the rig I use for haulin' firewood...
A '96 Powerstroke :)

fwrun1_08.jpg

Very nice piles!!! I never would have thought to build a privacy fence out of split wood. I may have to bring that up to the wife.:greenchainsaw:

IdahoPanhandle - Nice setup and stacks of firewood there.

Very nice piles!!! I never would have thought to build a privacy fence out of split wood. I may have to bring that up to the wife.:greenchainsaw:

I can just see this now.

Him : Honey , I wanna move the firewood to the property line and make it high enough that the neighbors can't see in the yard.

Her responce : ( She thoughtfully pauses a moment) :monkey: "Why, so you can bring in more of it !?"

Just make sure you have your reasons ready why this is a good idea and she might go for it.. I'm curious about how it turns out. :D

Last edited:
Nice fence. :)

Really diggin the truck though, how do you get your logs up on the flatbed?

IdahoPanhandle - Nice setup and stacks of firewood there.

I can just see this now.

Him : Honey , I wanna move the firewood to the property line and make it high enough that the neighbors can't see in the yard.

Her responce : ( She thoughtfully pauses a moment) :monkey: "Why, so you can bring in more of it !?"

Just make sure you have your reasons ready why this is a good idea and she might go for it.. I'm curious about how it turns out. :D

My wife would be happy if I just got all of the wood into the woodshed or atleast in a stacked row in one place in the yard.

I wouldn't mind stacking wood along the property line either. Doesn't look like it'll be a concern for Idaho, but i always worry that someone will steal it..... the mre you make it accessable to people. Especially in these hard times.

Nice use of space! Could you give us a detail shot of how you are holdign up the end of that rick on the far left edge of the picture? I built a couple "book ends" that I use occasionally.

Harry K

Gladly!

The rack on the left is somewhat of an experiment. So far it seems to be working great, but due to the nature of the design, I am real curious as to how long it will last.

Ive got 4 4x4 treated posts set into the ground like fence posts, and 4x4 runners lagged to them to support the firewood (and to keep it off the ground). On the ends, Ive got two 4x4 diagonals, with a few pieces of scrap plywood to add some shear.

For added rigidity for cross breezes, I braced it to the fence at every post with a diagonal.

So really, Ive got 3 racks in one, with a total capacity of nearly a cord and a half. Total cost was under $80

here are some photos..... dont mind the shirtless guy in the first one :popcorn:

postrack.jpg

splitnstacked02.jpg

Really diggin the truck though, how do you get your logs up on the flatbed?

Brute strength.

And sound effects. Making noise makes you stronger! :givebeer:

Honestly though, that entire load I loaded myself, by myself. If you can manage to lift one end of the log off the ground, it is a simple matter of leverage to get in onto the truck. :chainsaw:

Aha! Thanks for the explanation and pics. Yours is a permanent installation then.

My 'bookends' are stand alone and can be used at the end of any rick. They do require fairly level ground or some creative 'chinking' to get them to work. I'll post a pic tomorrow, should have taken one today.

Harry K

Thanks! You can barely see what we have fr a view in those firewood photos.

This is our view from the house and shop. We live on an oversized city lot right in town, but have a sweet, unobstructed view due to living on the edge of a hillside :)

View05.jpg

Back