Killing Pests with Fungus--EAB? ALB?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guy Meilleur

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
An arborist in Louisiana has had great success attacking the Formosan termites with an entomopathogenic fungi such as Conidiobolusa coronatum. These fungi evidently blast open young termites, spreading spores throughout colonies.

Trees treated with the fungus are >90% termite-free, those treated with the govt-sponsored toxic concoction, <50%. Yet the use of this natural organism is not recognized by the agencies. It is not allowed on public property.

DadF, you wanted to see research on alternative methods before supporting any other approach to EAB besides eradication. I'll be glad to send you what I have on this treatment. If not Conidiobolus, then some entomophage will kill EAB. Why would a control effort ignore natural treatments in favor of spending our tax dollars on deforestation?

And what is inadequate about the MSU data that showed chemicals to be effective against EAB? The firefighting approach does not fit insect pandemics as well as using comprehensive PHC treatments.

Boy, have I been down that road before.

Here it's now state law that any chemical treatment for wilt besides the label brand ALAMO is subject to from $1,000 to $10,000 criminal fine per tree.

I believe in civil disobedience however.

Soil-borne bacillus pseudonomas aerogenosa kills hospitalized humans but has been very effective on vascular inhibiting fungi. I'm not saying I've used them, but I'm not claiming I didn't, either. Come get me Homeland goosesteppers, maybe you have an aging mom with dying oaks over her kitchen.

There's a smorgaasboard of bacillus at our disposal, if E. coli can help aging debutantes fight the inevitable, why can't we mess-around with them too? I think trees are more important than Farrah Faucet's eyelids, although she has some other admirable attributes.

Go Guy - mess about and report back.

Actually oakwilt, if you are referring to Botox, it is derived from Clostridium botulinum.

But you may be on to something with the E. coli, since many of those who go for the Botox injections have wrinkled, puckered faces quite reminiscent of the other place on their bodies which are inhabited by E. coli. A connection, perhaps? :D

Maybe a new definition for the term "SH*T FACE"?

Yeah, it was only a matter of time - my bacterial trade rag has an article about a new proceedure in L.A. using E. coli instead of induced botulism.

Sign us on up, eh?

Latest posts

Back